The Safety Manager is responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining the safety processes and provide overall support and guidance to the trucking and warehouse divisions. The Manager will coordinate with the Director of HR, as well as Transportation/Warehouse Operations leadership in creating short- and long-term strategies to build a culture rich in safety and drive safe behavior. The Manager will initiate continuous improvement and oversee systems and activities to maintain regulatory compliance, provide training and professional development for management, operators, drivers, and other personnel while conducting safety process audits and investigations throughout the organization. The incumbent will be responsible for monitoring and achieving performance metrics, safety targets, and applicable incident rates.
· Key responsibilities include:
- Ensuring compliance with state, federal and location regulations.
- Overseeing and implementing the elements of a Crash/Incident Management process including coordination of reporting, investigating, documentation and management of incidents, behavior, and impact and corrective action plans.
- Develop materials and conducting training for drivers and employees in the enhancement of current safety programs. Develop processes to monitor behaviors to ensure compliance.
- Mentoring the competency of all levels of the organization in safety management practices, protocols, and procedures.
- Conduct audits and inspections of employees, fleet, equipment, and vendor practices to monitor compliance, implement risk mitigation factors and drive behavioral safety.
- Learn and implement a Behavior Safety Program.
- Monitor CSA scores and Food Safety Audit programs to address trends and drive performance.
- Establish performance goals related to the following. Develop a performance reporting process (ex. Scorecard) for the organization:
i. CSA Scores
ii. Equipment Damage
iii. Lost Time/Severity
iv. Cost Per Incident
v. Repetitive Incidents
vi. Recordable Incident Rate
vii. DOT Compliance Audits including documentation, files, standards, and Drug/Alcohol Program Results
viii. Hours of Service Compliance
ix. Samsara and video Surveillance Utilization and Participation
- Provide support, direction, and guidance to transportation and warehouse leadership across all divisions and locations in a multi-platform fleet compromised of company and owner operated units while collaborating with managers to ensure success and safety.
- Interact and directly influence the behavior, performance and knowledge base of drivers, operators, and all employees regarding safety and regulatory behaviors, practices, and operations.
- Ensures operational integrity regarding quality, environment, reliability, health, safety, and security with a high degree of influence without authority.
- Coordinate and maintain schedule, deliverables, and budgetary control for objectives and key projects across the transportation and warehouse divisions in regard to safety.
- Proactively identify deficiencies, concerns, and continuous improvement opportunities to drive appropriate safety behaviors.
- Monitor progress, performance, and quality projects while preparing reports and presentations for the Executive team.
- Demonstrate expertise in preparation of detail project plans, timelines, task sequencing, resource requirements, safety, and training.
- Develops financial justification models for projects to gain consensus and supportive business case.
- Participates in the development, implementation, and assessment of project “health-checks” and “’Go-Live’ readiness”.
- Assumes the lead in risk management meetings working with department leads and project teams to identify potential risks and recommend solutions to stabilize project prior to a business-impacting event occurring.
- Responsible for facilitating team calls to monitor and communicate progress, collaborate with key stakeholders to publish status reports and presentations, and manage and report on open risks and action items.
- Support business leaders and departments in establishing strategic plans for the facility, acquisitions, and safety initiatives.
- Demonstrates clear and concise communication; interpersonal, organizational and team building skills; business judgment; and proven expertise in directing the efforts of the project staff and internal and external customers and vendors.
- Develops contingency plans to meet key performance indicators.
- Exhibits flexibility in priority execution to achieve results. Initiates actions towards goals to meet required timeframes. Persists at achieving goals despite unexpected difficulties.
- Analyzes performance and effectiveness of safety initiatives utilizing metrics, audits, and data-driven indicators. Will lead or participate in process reviews, document process flows, identify best practices, and conduct post-project audits to ensure process compliance and established goals have been met.
- Keeps up with relevant industry knowledge such as warehousing, 3PL, and transportation and project management practices.