Position Title: Certified Medication Technician (CMT)
General Statement of Duties: Reports to the Residential Team Leader of the Macky & Pam Stansell Hospice House (SH) of Coastal Hospice at the Ocean. Provides personal care services and administers medication to the terminally ill patient and performs related tasks at SH, in accordance with the plan of treatment as assigned by the case manager. Behaves in a manner that consistently conveys commitment to the job of providing around-the-clock, compassionate and professional care. Responsible for carrying out the duties assigned in order to increase the level of comfort, and to maintain personal hygiene and a safe, healthy environment for the patient and co-workers.
Responsibilities and Functions:
DIRECT PATIENT CARE
- Provides direct patient care as instructed by a RN and/or physical therapist.
- Participates in weekend/holiday rotation to meet patient needs.
- Assists in feeding patients (if necessary) and provides nourishment between meals.
- Takes and records patient vital signs as directed by RN.
- Assists patients in and out of bed and assists with ambulation.
- Assists patients to bathroom or in using bedpan, urinal or bedside commode.
- Gives personal care including baths, back rubs, oral hygiene, shampoos and changes bed linen as often as necessary.
- Consistently utilizes 2 patient identifiers prior to the administration of medication.
- Patients' response to medication is documented according to Coastal Hospice policy and procedure.
- Recognizes and reports adverse drug reactions and reports per Coastal Hospice policy and procedure.
- Makes rounds per SH policy.
- Answers call bells promptly to respond to patient/family questions or concerns.
- Collaborates as a team member in order to meet patients’ plan of care.
- Reports changes in patients’ condition and/or needs to RN.
- Administers medications within scope of practice per certification.
- Consistently follows the “Six Rights” of medication administration.
- Changes simple dressings or ostomy bags as directed.
- Performs blood sugar finger sticks and documents results. Notifies RN of abnormal results.
- Responsible for daily cleaning of patient rooms. Rooms to be cleaned at time of discharge per SH policy.
ASSISTS WITH UNIT OPERATIONS BY:
- Washing of patients' laundry, ensuring a clean supply of bed linens, patient clothing, etc.
- Checking and documenting daily temperatures of refrigerators.
- Light meal preparation.
- Maintaining safe physical environment according to unit needs and regulatory standards.
- Performing housekeeping duties as needed.
SAFETY & COASTAL HOSPICE PROTOCOLS
- Recognizes unique responses to medication based upon the age of patient.
- Meets safety needs of patients and uses equipment safely and properly.
- Accurately signs out narcotics, wastages and documents on MAR as appropriate.
- Disposes of sharps in accordance with safety procedures.
- Complies with current CDC hand hygiene guidelines.
- Follows Coastal Hospice policies and procedures regarding standard precautions/infection control.
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of safety policies and procedures, including proper body mechanics.
- Communicates in a professional manner and demonstrates respect for patients, their families, volunteers and co-workers.