Pine Tree Society is seeking a highly qualified, professional American Sign Language Interpreter to provide a communication link between people who hear and people who are Deaf or hard-of-hearing to join our Interpreting Services team.
Interpreting Services has been a leader in providing the highest quality American Sign Language interpreting services to the Deaf communities of Maine and New Hampshire since 1976.
- Interprets between American Sign Language and English in a variety of settings including medical, mental health, vocational, educational, and Legal where qualified.
- Utilizes online schedule to ensure all assignments are completed as assigned.
- Works with Scheduling Team to coordinate schedule and ensure accuracy of assignments.
- Satisfies production goals established annually during budgeting process.
- Supports billing and payroll functions by maintaining accurate, timely records of work, including timesheets and other paperwork as needed.
- Ensures continuity of service by taking regular rotation in the on-call schedule to provide coverage for emergency service as well as serving in rotation as supervisor on call.
- Helps to maintain continuity of service by substituting for other staff/independent contractors when others are ill or otherwise unable to fulfill service commitments.
- Ensures confidentiality of client and agency information by adhering to RID, Inc., Code of Ethics.
- Attends professional development in order to maintain Licensure/ Certification
- Supports efforts to meet program goals by developing and completing special projects geared toward enhancing services, increasing revenue, educating potential requestors about services, educating contract interpreters, mentoring with practicum students where appropriate, and other activities consistent with program goals and objectives.
- Ability to interpret effectively between ASL and other forms of Sign Language, and English.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with consumers and representatives of social service agencies, businesses, hospitals, schools and others requiring interpreting services.
- Ability to use basic computer applications such as word processing and spreadsheet applications as well as a variety of office equipment including multi-line phone system, video phone, standard office equipment, etc.
- Ability to obtain License to Practice from the Maine Department of Professional and Financial Regulation and the New Hampshire Board of Licensure of Interpreters (if applicable), and any other Interpreting qualifications that may become necessary to do the job.
- Possess a valid driver’s license without restrictions, have a reliable vehicle with at least the state minimum automobile insurance coverage and the ability and willingness to travel and provide on-call and emergency coverage.
- Ability to pass a criminal background check, Adult Protective Services, Child Protective Services, Medicaid, and other background checks.
- Ability to be approved by medical credentialing services to be cleared to work in medical facilities. This includes being up to date with required immunizations including an annual flu shot.
- Bachelor’s degree in interpretation, rehabilitation, counseling, social work or related field, RID certification or equivalent combination of education and training.
- Fluency in American Sign Language.
- RID certification or equivalent preferred
- Maine Interpreting License required
- New Hampshire interpreting license or ability to become licensed in New Hampshire
TRAVEL AREA/RADIUS: Travel will primarily be within an hour of Augusta area, although longer travel may be required periodically.
Benefits: We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package including health, dental, life, short-term disability and voluntary benefits as well as a generous PTO policy, 11 paid holidays, a 403(b) retirement plan and a friendly and professional workplace atmosphere focused on impact. EOE.