The Cincinnati Symphony and Pops Orchestra is pleased to announce an opening for a one-year position of Assistant Librarian. This represents a unique opportunity not only to work in the dynamic environment of a thriving, top-tier orchestra, but also to amass music preparation experience for opera and ballet productions, educational and outreach concerts, as well as special projects including commissions, premieres, video streaming, and recordings. This position will be awarded to the candidate with a demonstrated commitment to a career of orchestra librarianship.
The Assistant Librarian will report to the Acting Principal Librarian to provide support for the day-to-day functioning of the library. The Cincinnati Symphony and Pops Orchestra (CSO/CPO) librarians also provide library services for Cincinnati May Festival, Cincinnati Opera, and Cincinnati Ballet. Work hours will occur primarily on weekdays between 9AM and 5PM, but require some flexibility. Evening and weekend work hours may include rehearsals and concert duty rotation. Occasional travel to venues, both downtown (such as the Aronoff Centre) and around the Cincinnati area (such as Riverbend) is required.
- Assist in all preparation of Cincinnati Opera music, including checking PVs against full scores, marking cuts and inserts, working with banda parts, and creating excerpts for the annual Gala concert.
- Assist in all preparation of Cincinnati Ballet music, including marking and checking extensive cuts and inserts.
- Catalog and file CSO, CPO, MF, CO, and CB sets and new works.
- Ship rental music to publishers and maintain shipping records.
- Support the CSO's diversity, equity and inclusion goals including the fostering of a respectful organizational culture
- All other duties as assigned. Specific responsibilities will also include:
- The successful candidate is expected to have a degree in music, and therefore will be knowledgeable in performance practices, composition, music theory, and foreign language music terms. Working knowledge of office computer systems is also expected.
- The successful candidate will have prior orchestra library experience, preferably with a professional and/or MOLA-member orchestra.
- The successful candidate’s strengths will include:
- The successful candidate must be reliable, prompt, and must respect sensitive or confidential information.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate a commitment to the responsibilities of the CSO/CPO Library.
- Knowledge of OPAS, OPAS Online, Acrobat Pro, and/or Photoshop is highly encouraged. Knowledge of music preparation software (such as Finale or Sibelius) is a plus.
- Must be able to lift 30 pounds.