The Chicago Sun-Times is the hardest-working paper in America, covering the stories and issues that matter most to Chicago’s working women and men with depth, integrity, and grit. Winner of eight Pulitzer Prizes, the Sun-Times features hard-hitting investigative reporting, in-depth political coverage, insightful sports analysis, entertainment reviews and cultural commentary, both in print and online.
The Chicago Sun-Times is seeking a Director of Audience Engagement. This individual is responsible for crafting strategy around all of our digital contact points with readers, including email, social media channels, breaking news alerts, and the presentation of news content published on suntimes.com. A successful Director in this position will bring innovative ideas to keep our current audience engaged and reach new audiences, working collaboratively with all departments in our newsroom to ensure we're optimizing our news product at every opportunity. Solid news judgment is a must, as is creativity, organization, an analytical mind and strong leadership.
· Manage a team responsible for social media posting, home page management, push alerts, SEO, newsletters, live blogging and writing and reporting digital-first stories.
· Edit multiple content pieces per day including stories, newsletters, Twitter threads and other social copy.
· Set goals for social media strategy, with an emphasis on growing our audience on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
· Manage and grow current newsletter products, including writing or editing our flagship newsletters: Morning Edition and Afternoon Edition.
· Work with editorial staff on search, social and home page headlines. Enhance digital versions of stories to engage current subscribers and to attract new ones.
· Set and implement push alert strategy by identifying alert-worthy stories and crafting push alerts to engage readers.
· Track traffic and engagement using tools like Chartbeat, Google Analytics and Crowdtangle and spot trends.
· Bachelor's degree in journalism or a related field
· 5+ years experience working in digital news/media
· Excellent communication skills and a strong command of AP style and grammar
· Familiarity with Chartbeat, Google Analytics or similar platforms to track website traffic and experience interpreting that data
· Previous management experience, preferably of a digital news or social media team
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the Sun-Times newsroom is currently working remotely. When feasible, the position will be based out of the Sun-Times’ newsroom in Chicago.
What We Offer
Sun-Times Media Productions, LLC does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, color, religion, age, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, citizenship or national origin, and military membership or veteran status, or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state, or local law.