Our mission at SELF is to empower schools to create welcoming and effective communities that enable ALL students to achieve their fullest potential. We aim to improve the quality of special education student outcomes by developing current and aspiring special education teacher-fellows, leader-fellows, and leadership teams through a variety of specialized programs.
SELF’s unique and specialized programming includes:
- The Leader Fellowship: a two-year program that provides formal training sessions, leadership coaching, professional learning communities, peer program reviews and visits to exemplary programs across the country.
- The Teacher Fellowship: a year-long program that provides formal training sessions, professional learning communities, personalized coaching, and partners with national research-based instructional programs.
- School Support: training for leadership teams through their partnership with New Schools for New Orleans and customized consulting services to school, charter management organization network teams, and school districts.
Our Core Values guide what and how we do our work and interact with each other and all of our partners:
Belief: We believe that every student, regardless of their identity and learning style, can achieve at their highest potential.
Responsibility: It is our responsibility to use our own talents and capacities in order to ensure that the mindsets and systems are in place for our students to have equitable, inclusive, and anti-bias classroom spaces.
Team Work: We prioritize collaboration to ensure a stronger sense of belonging. We lead ourselves and others in a way that places all students at the center of our work.
Position Overview: The Senior Leadership Coach will coach and lead professional development sessions for school leadership teams through our School Support function and as additional capacity for the Leader Fellowship. This role will also work with the Director of Special Projects, Leigh Bozard, on internal programmatic projects and may directly manage 1-3 team members (dependent on candidates experience, interest, and organizational needs).
SELF’s School Support work is highly entrepreneurial and the specific projects this role will work on will be reactive to the different types of engagements SELF secures. We know the types of work we need this role to do but the specific projects will vary throughout the year and year to year. The Senior Leadership Coach role will be responsible for the following:
Training and Development:
- Deliver high-quality adult learning professional development and ensures trainings they “own” that are delivered by other SELF staff and/or external presenters are excellent
- Lead and support other SELF Coaches to lead Peer Program Reviews (PPRs), a comprehensive school review process
Coaching and Advising Leadership Teams:
- Provide direct coaching, resources, and problem-solving support to school leadership teams; builds strong, trusting relationships with educators their working with
- Collaborate with teams to create strategic plans based on training sessions to improve their school’s special education programming
- Conduct school visits to observe student support programs at work and debrief classroom observations together
- Observe school support systems (SBLC meetings, coaching sessions, training sessions)
- Provide coaching and support for 504 and IEP folder compliance
- Analyze subgroup data, notice trends, and lead teams to solutions
- Work with Director of Special Projects to build and/or update systems for planning and executing new trainings
- Create and support the development of rubrics and frameworks to measure impact and codify best practices
- Integrate program learning experiences including, but not limited to, training sessions, walkthroughs, compliance reviews, and professional learning communities
- Potential Responsibility: Directly manage 1 or 2 SELF team members, providing support, development, and accountability in an inclusive and equitable manner
SELF’s Senior Leadership Coach role is a great opportunity if the following describes you:
- My passion is for building great schools where all diverse learners thrive.
- I am an experienced special educator and I have school leadership experience (eg. assistant principal, network/district level special education positions etc.), leading, coaching, and managing other adults.
- While I know compliance, I really enjoy adaptive leadership and I love coaching and leading professional development that builds others capacity to lead.
- I have knowledge of and geek out over best practices in adult learning and aligned development.
- I am comfortable with ambiguity in a role and a position where the work will shift and adapt based on organizational needs.
Required Skills and Mindsets:
- A deep commitment to SELF’s mission and alignment with SELF values of Belief, Responsibility, and Teamwork
- Belief in SELF’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) demonstrated by a demonstrated willingness to examine personal identity and biases and comfort engaging in conversations around race, class, and privilege
- Strong transformational leadership and coaching skills: demonstrated leadership that inspires, uplifts and challenges, always in service to others and with a goal of creating a learning community that is more equitable and welcoming
- Project management: the ability to manage complex, systems-level projects with a keen attention to detail and a focus on organizational effectiveness
- Strong relationship-building skills demonstrated by the ability to build trust with a wide-variety of individuals
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively to both internal and external partners via e-mail and in-person
- A professional demeanor and utmost discretion when dealing with confidential information
- A demonstrated career-long history of constant learning and continuous personal development learning through self-awareness of strengths and areas of improvement; a track record of building skills and knowledge through personal initiative; and a history of executing on feedback to improve performance
- Structured thinking skills: the ability to organize, analyze, and synthesize disparate pieces of information and clearly communicate information to others in a way that is accessible and reflective of the audience
- A high degree of personal leadership: evidence of taking initiative and owning outcomes for yourself and others
- A solutions orientation: the ability to identify and implement solutions independently in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, and a track record of taking responsibility when faced with challenges
Required Experience and Expectations:
- A demonstrated record of improving student outcomes as a special education practitioner and leader
- School leadership and/or Network/District level experience that included managing and coaching other adults
- Willingness and ability to work outside of “traditional work hours” on specific occasions (i.e. working evenings and/or weekends when events require it)
Preferred Experience and Qualifications:
- Teaching and leadership experience in an urban school district, Louisiana, specifically the Greater New Orleans area, highly preferred
- At least 5 years of professional working experience
- Comfort with Google Suite and Microsoft Office (e.g. Drive, Docs, Sheets, Forms, Classroom, Word, Excel, PPT, etc.)
Manager Relationship: The Senior Leadership Coach will report to the Director of Special Projects, Leigh Bozard.Location: The Senior Leadership Coach must live in the Greater New Orleans area and be able to work in New Orleans once the SELF team returns to in-person work. We are currently working 100% remotely due to Covid-19. Once it is safe to do so, it will be required for this role to be in New Orleans.
Timeline: We will review applications for this role on a rolling basis and may close the application at any point. Interested applications are encouraged to apply as soon as you are able.
Compensation and Benefits: SELF is committed to equitable talent practices and sets starting salaries using internal and external comparison data and a candidate’s specific experience. We also believe in taking care of our team members holistically. We aim to offer competitive salaries, but we also have a comprehensive benefits package, with health, dental, vision largely subsidized by SELF, a 401k employer contribution, short-term and long-term disability paid for by SELF, and a flexible spending and dependent care plan.
SELF provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance.