For over 40 years Bellwether Housing has been Seattle's largest, and most respected, non-profit organization, providing affordable housing for low-income individuals and families. Bellwether Housing offers an uplifting work environment with a diverse group of talented professionals who are committed to our mission and values of creativity, collaboration, ambition, warm-heartedness, and professionalism.
- Apply fair housing guidelines when entering occupied units and interacting with residents.
- Apply skilled knowledge of electrical, plumbing, carpentry and appliance repair in occupied and common area spaces.
- Apply skilled mechanical aptitude in repairing and maintaining building systems. May include, but not be limited, to roofing, cladding, HVAC, and emergency systems.
- Maintain quality of unit finishes, electrical systems, plumbing systems, appliance repair, and sealant applications on interior and exterior surfaces.
- Communicate material needs on ongoing basis to the Maintenance Supervisor.
- Ensure manufacturer and Bellwether standards, recommended usage, and application of workplace materials.
- Consult the Bellwether safety manual, material safety data sheets (MSDS), and Bellwether employee handbook for guidance, and follow safety procedures when performing assigned duties.
- Respond to emergencies, initiating contact with Emergency Services when appropriate. Be available to initiate maintenance emergency actions, cleaning up debris, water, etc. and contacting the Maintenance Supervisor.
- Safeguard Bellwether building and unit keys in your possession, referring access requests to building managers and the maintenance office.
- Attend routine and ad hoc Maintenance Department meetings.
- Represent Bellwether Housing in your own work, and in the work you manage.
- Contribute and participate as a team member.
- Share in after-hours maintenance on-call duties with other maintenance staff.
- Travel to local Bellwether sites to assist on a regular basis.
- Undertake other duties as assigned by the Maintenance Field Supervisor, Senior Maintenance Supervisor and/or Senior Facilities Manager.
- Minimum four years prior skilled maintenance experience including carpentry, electrical and plumbing in an apartment setting. Coursework completed towards Apartment Maintenance Technician certification program may be considered as experience.
- Travel to local Bellwether sites on a regular basis.
- Ability to complete assigned tasks within established time limits.
- Self-motivated, with the ability to work independently, or as part of a team.
- Highly organized, taking initiative as needed, ensuring work is completed and of high quality.
- Able to complete strenuous work, bend, reach, stoop, or stand for extended periods, up to four hours at a time.
- Able to lift tools and materials up to 50 pounds
- Operate hand and power tools, such as drills, hammers, snow shovels, etc.
- Able to work in all weather conditions.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Good oral and written communication skills, and the ability to communicate in English.
- Washington State 07b electrician certification or equivalent certification
- Boiler operator certification
- Advanced carpentry, plumbing, and electrical repair knowledge.
- HVAC operations experience.
- Building operator’s certificate.
- Apartment Maintenance Technician certification or completed coursework
- Project management skills.
- Prior supervisory or lead worker experience.
Other Position Requirements:
- Candidates selected for this position must pass a criminal history background check prior to employment with Bellwether Housing.
- Must have reliable transportation and be able to meet all traveling requirements of this position.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Washington State driver’s license, the appropriate amount of automobile insurance, and a safe driving record.
$26.00 - $28.00 per hour depending on experience.
Monday through Friday, 40 hours per week, flexible work schedule.
Benefits: Bellwether Housing provides 24 days of PTO in the first year of employment for all employees working over 20 hours per week. We have a 403(b)-retirement plan with immediate eligibility for employee contributions and employer matching after 15 months of service; three medical plans to choose from, one with an employer funded HSA; dental; vision; flexible spending accounts, long-term disability; employer paid life insurance; and commuter benefits.
Please Note: Candidates selected for this position must pass a criminal history background check prior to employment with Bellwether Housing.
Bellwether Housing is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity, including the diversity of thought and experience. We are committed to building an open and inclusive culture for all employees. We consider all applicants without regard to education, race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, skills, and level of experience. All interested candidates are encouraged to apply.