Responsible for planning, editing and overseeing the timely production of client and Coffey content, publications and website pages. Works directly with clients and collaborates with other department personnel and management to create authoritative, appealing content that provides accurate health information and meets clients’ marketing goals. May be responsible for fulfilling writing assignments on an occasional basis.
Essential job functions:
- Plans and edits content intended to engage and retain the interest of readers and achieve clients’ marketing objectives. Uses good editorial judgment and customer service skills to develop editorial planning processes for each client or Coffey publication or content library, for print or digital use. Carries out editorial planning sessions for library content or with clients for their custom publications or websites. Writes headlines, captions and blurbs. Evaluates editing changes suggested by copy editors and fact checkers. Ensures that issues meet client needs and Coffey style.
- Consults with clients and internal staff to improve effectiveness of client publications through better use of content, design, art, targeting, distribution or other means.
- Provides clear and concise writing assignments for projects, ensuring that writers meet all requirements listed in the assignment. Provides additional support and direction to writers as requested. Sends content back for rewrites as needed, along with feedback. Provides management with feedback.
- Participates in publication and website prototype reviews, helping provide input toward designs that reflect client preferences as well as industry best practices. Ensures that the editorial message matches and complements that of art and design and also works—in collaboration with art directors—to achieve good balance among all page elements.
- Reviews client usage reports for content libraries. Interprets information and uses data to plan for future content.
- Takes responsibility for ensuring that Coffey content meets all deadlines and content standards and that clients receive excellent customer service.
- Ensures that content is published on schedule and on budget. Communicates production requirements to clients; handles client concerns and relays information, as appropriate, to management.
- Represents Coffey in face-to-face meetings with clients and/or prospective clients, as needed, to consult, advise, plan and/or evaluate content.
- Provides regular feedback and critiques to writers. Provides management with regular updates.
- Confers with the department director and others, as needed, to seek resolution of challenging issues, questions and needs relating to production of custom materials.
- Anticipates potential editorial, scheduling and production problems and takes action to solve them.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of major medical, hospital industry and managed care issues, including treatment breakthroughs and/or changes; technology; diagnostic procedures and prevention measures.
- Uses the Coffey timekeeping system to keep an accurate record of time spent on various job activities.
- Recommends and/or develops, in consultation with the department director, systems and procedures for producing custom client publications and Coffey libraries and for maintaining a timely work flow.
- Provides analyses or ideas to the department director relative to custom publications or editorial policy and procedures.
- Makes presentations to clients or prospective clients relative to Coffey’s content products and services.
- Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally, either orally or in writing.