World Language Developmental Editor
As the World Language Developmental Editor, you will oversee and drive the development of a portfolio of core and supplemental World Language projects. This key role will direct stakeholders through the product development process to build upon Wayside’s unique and groundbreaking educational solutions (print and digital). This role is varied and fast-paced. You will be responsible for getting our products to market efficiently, on-schedule, and on budget. Leveraging project management skills and tools you will work closely with Curriculum Coordinators to provide guidance and leadership to authors, contractors (editors, audio studio, animators, permission coordinators, etc.), and key internal teams to ensure that all print and digital materials adhere to Wayside’s pedagogical, design, and editorial standards.
- Lead development of World Language educational solutions by acting as the main point-of-contact for internal/external teams of authors, contractors, and designers to coordinate all aspects of digital and print production
- Responsible for project management and coordination of materials developed internally and by external vendors; for creating and/or editing, copy editing, and proofreading content for student print and digital materials, teacher editions, and digital supplements
- Work with Managing Editor, Design, Digital Product Owner, and Curriculum Coordinators to make decisions, on such items such as pedagogical alignment, editorial, scope, budget, timeline, permissions, that would affect multiple languages/series
- Build positive, collaborative cross-functional relationships with these teams and manage them to strict development timelines and adherence to Wayside’s pedagogical and editorial standards
- Establish project scope, goals, and objectives in conjunction with the Curriculum Coordinators.
- Develop and maintain project timelines
- Responsible for adhering to project budget
- Creates, owns, and maintains editorial process documentation, development schedules, permissions, and meeting notes.
- Keep a critical eye on the editorial and production processes, pitching improvements that focus on product quality and an excellent customer experience
- Participate in a variety of efforts touching on content, research, special projects, etc., as needed.
- Analyze project resource needs and plans accordingly
- Write contracts for vendors and freelancers participating on projects
- Leads title maintenance after publication (e.g. reprints or corrections to digital materials)
- Participate in every stage of product development from conception, internal project launch, manuscript, proof work, market launch.
- Review all manuscripts for adherence to template (print) and digital capabilities
- Review proofs and comments for accuracy
- Work with design to create manuscripts/unit templates and ensure adherence to them throughout process, working with design/author team as necessary
- Create all templates
- Prep and Separate all manuscripts
- Manage proof passes between authors and design
- Add items to author to-do list as necessary
- Communicate with digital product owner when new functionality/features for any digital component requested
- Review and fix or communicate fixes needed of all digital content (quizzes, ebook layout, ebook linking)
- Create digital roadmaps
- Review all audio and video files for accuracy (to script, start/end time)
- Review all subtitles for accuracy
- Help manage reprints and error board and delegate as necessary
- Participate in state adoptions and RFPs as appropriate
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Administration, Education, or Second Language
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in teaching a world language or experience directly related to education and second language acquisition, required
- Knowledge of ACTFL Standards
- Minimum of Advanced Low language proficiency in English and Spanish, French, German, or Italian
- Minimum of 3 years of proven editorial experience, including proofreading, line proofing, copy editing, developmental editing, and manuscript preparation.
- Experience within educational publishing
- PMP certified or experience a plus
- Proven work experience in organizing, managing and delegating to remote teams
- Strong written and oral interpersonal skills
- Tech-savvy, innovative, and forward-thinking is a must
- Excels with problem-solving and multitasking skills
- Ability to manage a variable work schedule across multiple time zones, including the possibility of weekends and evenings
- Proven ability to work autonomously in making tough decisions, while appropriately involving key stakeholders
We believe that traditional hiring policies can hurt the most marginalized people in society, including people of color, people from working-class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQ people. Because we believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.
Wayside Publishing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
NO PHONE CALLS OR RECRUITERS PLEASE