The Phlebotomy Registrar works more frequently with patients. This position requires the ability to collect, process, store and transport blood, body fluids and tissue specimens. Along with this you must be able to perform clerical functions such as faxing, copying and mailing of reports and answering the phones professionally. You may need to perform other duties as assigned.
- The employee must demonstrate competency in service to different patient populations such as: Neonates, Pediatric, Adolescent, Adult and Geriatric.
- Work in a variety of situations
- May work alone or in a various size groups on any shift on any day of the week under direct supervision of a Clinical Laboratory Scientist.
- Computer entry, filing, telephone communication and other clerical duties.
- Must possess a strong work ethic
- May be mandated to stay should a situation arise.
- Keep storage areas, trays, centrifuges, refrigerators, freezers and collection areas clean.
Education and Experience:
- High School Graduate or Equivalent along with successful completion of a formal training course in Phlebotomy from a recognized school acceptable to the Laboratory Management.
- Completion of certification or registry exam given by a Nationally recognized certifying agency within 1 year of hire date.
- Minimum 1-year Clinical Laboratory experience preferred, but new graduate acceptable
- Must be able to multi-task.
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology.
- Demonstrate good telephone etiquette.
- Greet patients and visitors in a polite and friendly manner.
- Must have strong communication skills
- Must be able to move throughout the facility without assistance and perform blood collection in a safe and efficient manner.
- Must be able to handle stress of working efficiently with frequent interruptions.
- Knowledge of general Medical Laboratory Terminology
- Familiarity with general office equipment
- Must maintain a clean and professional appearance
- Must follow the Hospital Personal Appearance policy.
- Full use of both hands
- Good finger dexterity
- Near vision required
- Works with sharp instruments
- Standing 4-6 hours per day
- Walking 4-6 hours per day
- Carries 0-25 pounds