St. Mark Catholic Church, a large parish community located in Independence Missouri, is seeking to hire a full-time Director of Liturgy and Music. The Director of Liturgy and Music is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the parish’s liturgical life. This person, a professional who holds specialized credentials in music and has a thorough understanding of Roman Catholic liturgy, serves the parish as principal musician, organist/pianist and choir director. This person of faith is responsible for the effective planning, coordination, and execution of both the rituals and music for the parish liturgies.
The Director of Liturgy and Music is responsible for ensuring quality liturgical celebrations and music that enhance the “full, conscious, active participation of the faithful” of St. Mark parish.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Function as principal keyboardist and choir director.
- Collaborate with the Pastor and with other members of the parish staff, integrating his or her own area of responsibility with the overall parish mission.
- Prepare and manage the budgets of the liturgy and music in collaboration with the Business Manager and bookkeeper.
- Provide music and musicians for all Sunday and other major celebrations, including Holy Days, weddings, funerals, first reconciliation, etc.
- Build repertoire and encourage participation of the parish community in singing at various liturgies.
- Consult on music and liturgy with parishioners and families preparing for sacramental liturgies, e.g., Weddings, Funerals, etc.
- Train, direct, supervise and expand the parish choir, hand-bell choir, and volunteer cantors.
- Ensure that all details regarding the liturgical life of the parish are properly planned, thoroughly prepared, and skillfully executed.
- Create and develop worship aids for the congregation for certain holidays.
- Work with sacristan and pastor on the preparation of all parish liturgies.
- Collaborate as needed with other staff members on the preparation of prayer services and devotions.
- Oversee Art & Environment for the parish. Duties to include seasonal decorations, purchase of supplies (fabric, plants, flowers) throughout the year.
- Work to foster unity among all parish musicians, and to create a spirit of harmony with the presider and other liturgical ministers.
Knowledge and Skills
- Use strong listening, verbal and/or written communication skills to exchange information clearly and concisely and deliver information in a professional manner.
- Achieve results with little oversight.
- Act with urgency to meet individual and organizational commitments.
- Demonstrate strong attention to detail and pursue quality in accomplishing tasks.
- Strong computer skills
- Respects and upholds Catholic Church teaching.
- Ideally Practicing Catholic with ethical standards, personal integrity, and conduct consistent with the morals and teachings of the Catholic Church; includes faithful obedience to the Magisterium.
- Degree in music and/or liturgy; or equivalent experience.
- In-depth knowledge of Church documents that govern and direct liturgy and sacred music.
- Skilled as an effective choral/handbell conductor
- Ability and desire to lead and sustain a program of quality congregational singing.
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of employees and volunteers.
- Able to honor and maintain confidentiality.
Note: All employees are required to consent to a background check, and sign and acknowledge the Ethics and Integrity in Ministry (EIM) Code of Conduct prior to hire. Please view the EIM at www.kcsjcatholic.org. Completion of Protecting God’s Children training is required soon after hire.
St. Mark Catholic Church offers a comprehensive benefits program, including medical, dental and vision plans, STD/LTD fully paid by the employer, retirement plans including a 403b plan and a defined benefit pension plan. Paid time off includes generous Vacation and Sick leaves, plus paid Holidays.