Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence Region
Position: School-Based, Program Coordinator (College Bigs Program)
Location: Philadelphia, PA (Currently remote)
Job Status: Full-time, non-exempt
Reports To: Team Leader, School-Based Mentoring
Effective Date: 5.13.2021
JOIN A FORWARD-THINKING AGENCY THAT SEEKS TO ENSURE THAT ALL YOUTH ACHIEVE THEIR FULL POTENTIAL. Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence (BBBSI) is the largest BBBS agency in the state and fourth largest in the nation. Our mission is to ignite the power and promise of youth and close the mentoring gap, by creating and supporting one-to-one mentoring relationships and strengthening the quality of the mentoring field.
BBBSI seeks a full-time School-Based Program Coordinator for the College Bigs Program. This position supports one-on-one mentoring relationships between college students Bigs and students "Littles" through the coordination of programs and match support located at three to four school sites. This position will develop and facilitate monthly match activities for college matches. Some evening/weekend work may be required, with the majority of time is spent during traditional work hours.
Child Safety & Match Support
1. Provide match support at schools and college locations to ensure child safety, positive impacts for youth, constructive and satisfying relationships between children and volunteers, and a strong sense of affiliation with BBBS on the part of volunteers.
2. Meet or exceed goals in the following areas: clients interviewed, number of matches made, match support compliance, match support quality, match closure rate, average match length, survey compliance, and customer satisfaction.
3. Effectively utilize on-line database system for recording and reviewing all child/mentor match details.
4. Build relationships with schools through coordination with teachers, principals, and counselors. Act as liaison with site-based contacts to ensure effective implementation of program and coordination of all site-specific needs.
Little Recruitment, Interviewing & Match Making
5. With the assistance of school liaisons, enroll children with proper paperwork and conduct volunteer and client assessments/updates as indicated.
6. Work with and receive input from Enrollment team to make matches according to assessments and recommendations from the Intake process.
7. Facilitate monthly match activities for mentors and mentees, providing impactful activities to enhance match relationships and develop strong partnerships at the school site.
8. Effectively plan and implement program logistics and activities
9. Provide friendly, approachable customer service and represent the Agency and our mission in a professional and positive manner.
Academic Requirements: Bachelor’s degree OR an Associate’s Degree and a minimum 4 years relevant experience OR no degree but a minimum of 8 years relevant experience OR within six months of Bachelor’s degree completion.
Professional Experience: Experience working with youth populations, adult populations, and with socio-economically diverse populations is required. Must possess the ability to effectively utilize BBBSI’s internal database systems for tracking and recording information.
Additional Requirements: Daily access to a car, valid driver's license, with state-required automobile insurance minimums is preferred for the purpose of traveling to schools.
Must demonstrate leadership, dedication, and an interpersonal savvy that helps establish effective relationships and an appropriate rapport with people; have attentive and active listening skills; take a sales/marketing approach to interaction with youth clients and volunteers; are results/outcome oriented; are approachable, organized; and demonstrate sound judgment in a leadership capacity. Our best employees 1) set the bar high 2) are intentional and thoughtful about their choices 3) collaborate as a means to community solutions 4) are positive, can-do, and solution-oriented 5) embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion, and 6) are accountable and get it done.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing work in an office environment and include the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job: the ability to work independently; remain sedentary for extended periods of time (6+ hours per day); lift 10-15lbs; push, pull, bend kneel, as needed for normal operations. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please submit resume and cover letter. Note: only those applicants believed to be viable candidates for this opportunity will be contacted. No phone calls please.
WHO SHOULD APPLY
Educators, social workers, and youth workers with a passion for working with youth and a desire to work for a strong mission driven organization should apply. At BBBSI, we serve more than 2,400 children annually in Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties in Pennsylvania, and Burlington, Camden and Gloucester Counties in New Jersey.
Our aspiration is to develop an organization that reflects our constituent base. BBBSI promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds. BBBSI is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status, first and second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families, or any legally protected factor.
** This position is currently remote. Staff will be given a minimum of two (2) weeks advance notice before transition back to the office.