Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence
Position: Team Leader, Community-Based Match Support
Location: Philadelphia, PA (currently remote, work-from-home)
Job Status: Full-time, non-exempt
Reports To: Senior Manager, Community Based Program
JOIN A FORWARD-THINKING AGENCY THAT SEEKS TO ENSURE THAT ALL YOUTH ACHIEVE THEIR FULL POTENTIAL. Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence (BBBSI) is the largest BBBS agency in the state and fourth largest in the nation. To create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth, while working collaboratively to strengthen the quality of the mentoring field and close the mentoring gap.
Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence (BBBSI), seeks a Team Leader, Community-Based Match Support. This role will directly supervise a team of 3-5 Community-based Match Support Specialists and will manage a smaller caseload directly. The ideal candidate will support the match support function via the successful coordination of a match support team’s activities, as well as effective performance of individual match support responsibilities, practices and goals. This position requires some workday and weekend travel to BBBSI office locations and agency events within our 7-county service area in Southeastern PA (Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties) and Southern NJ (Burlington, Camden, and Gloucester Counties).
Leadership, Management, Accountability
1. Supports the Community Based Match Support team to ensure a high level of quality performance and individual team members’ professional development.
2. Works with the Sr. Manager, Community Based Program to ensure that team members demonstrate high-level proficiency in, and application of child safety and risk management knowledge, policies and procedures throughout all aspects of job functions, according to set standards of practice and agency policies while maintaining high metric performance.
3. Hires Match Support staff and responsible for training, developing, supervising and evaluating those employees; provides the tools to train, develop, supervise and evaluate staff.
4. Fosters a team culture of accountability, trust, professionalism and excellence.
Child Safety and Match Support
5. Assists with Community Based Match Support oversite; ensures that all match meetings and support contacts are conducted according to all BBBS standards of practice.
6. Utilizes a level of proficiency in applying child safety and risk management knowledge, policies and procedures throughout all aspects of the job; identifies potential child safety issues for volunteers, children and their families as soon as possible, making sound decisions as a result in consultation with the Sr. Manager, Community Based Programs.
7. Works closely with Sr. Manager, Community Based Programs to continually seek to improve department functions and services and ensures that performance is directly in line with Agency goals and strategic initiatives.
8. Ensures that potential problems and barriers to success are identified and addressed through process evaluation and collaboration with department leadership.
Caseload Support and Match Making
9. Determines the elements of child safety, positive relationship and youth development indicators, and signs of a sense of affiliation with the Agency are present within the child/mentor match.
10. Provides friendly, approachable customer service and represents the Agency and our mission in a professional and positive manner.
11. Facilitates initial meeting between Bigs, Littles and parent/guardians. Reviews ground rules and expectations in order to lay the foundation for a successful relationship.
12. Effectively utilizes on-line database system for recording and reviewing all child/mentor match details.
Training and Team Development
13. Coordinates daily processing functions for a team of Community Based Match Support Specialists; assists department leadership in team member performance review process; and acts as a peer leader for Specialists, upholding, by example, appropriate standards of practice and effective performance of functions and procedures.
Match Activity Support
14. Facilitates and participates in annual picnics, cultural events, sporting activities, and other Agency events (virtual or in-person offerings).
15. Facilitates and coordinates parent/guardian engagement opportunities to allow interactions with subject matter experts, agency leadership and access to needed resources.
Academic: Bachelor’s degree (social services or related field preferred) required.
Professional Requirements: 2+ years functional experience in a human services environment preferred; supervisory experience a plus. Experience working with both child and adult populations; specific assessment and relationship development experience, and an understanding of child development and family preferred. Proficiency in Microsoft Office packages required.
Additional Requirements: Must have daily and dependable access to a car, valid driver's license, and meet State-required automobile insurance minimums.
Personal Attributes: Must demonstrate leadership, dedication, and an interpersonal savvy that helps establish effective relationships and an appropriate rapport with people; have attentive and active listening skills; take a sales/marketing approach to interaction with youth clients and volunteers; are results/outcome oriented; are approachable, organized; and demonstrate sound judgment in a leadership capacity. Our best employees 1) set the bar high 2) are intentional and thoughtful about their choices 3) collaborate as a means to community solutions 4) are positive, can-do, and solution-oriented 5) embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion, and 6) are accountable and get it done.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing work in an office environment and include the essential functions of this job.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The ability to work independently; remain sedentary for extended periods of time (6+ hours per day); lift 10-15lbs; push, pull, bend kneel, as needed for normal operations.
Please submit resume and cover letter.
Note: only those applicants believed to be viable candidates for this opportunity will be contacted. No phone calls please.
WHO SHOULD APPLY
At BBBSI, we serve more than 2,100 children annually in Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties in Pennsylvania, and Burlington, Camden and Gloucester Counties in New Jersey.
Our aspiration is to develop an organization that reflects our constituent base. BBBSI promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds. BBBSI is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status, first and second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families, or any legally protected factor.
** This position is currently remote. Staff will be given a minimum of two (2) weeks advance notice before transition back to the office.