In partnership with Detroit Public Schools Community District, DESC is enhancing its program offerings at the Detroit At Work Centers to include GED/HSE and High School Diploma preparation and completion to improve essential foundational skills necessary for Detroiters to get a job and improve career outcomes.
A Summer Adult Education Program will include a planning period from July 7 to July 9 and direct services to students from July 12 - August 16 through online platforms of MS Teams and Gradpoint. Participants will have access to instructor support to complete their GED/HSE or High School Diploma. This is an extension of the full Adult Education program that includes morning and evening classes, ESL courses and adult education integrated with technical training.
· Assist with outreach, student registration and in-take process, including student transcript reviews, digital literacy assessment.
· Conduct pre and post test assessments
· Work with Adult Education team to create clear schedules for in-person and on-line instruction.
· Develop lesson plans and maintain up to date Individual Education Plans based on the student individual requirements
· Conduct a combination of live and self paced GED instruction combining instructional lessons that integrate with Kaplan and Gradpoint
· Monitor student progress and provide student data to the Adult Education team
· Maintain attendance and program reports
· Provide both class instruction and tutoring, both in-person and on-line, depending on need.
· Provide one-to-one support to students to keep them engaged and motivated to reach their learning goals.
· Assist students with technology and connectivity issues
· Assist with planning and guidance for fall program
· Strive to support students to achieve their GED and High School Diploma
· A valid teaching license/certificate or license permit in one or more of the core content areas: ELA, Reading, Math, Social Studies or Science
· Experience working with adult learners in a school setting or educational environment
Timeline: July 7, 2020 – August 20, 2021 (7 Weeks)
Salary: $32.00 Hourly
Location: DESC -- Detroit At Work Career Centers, online instruction