The Carpentry Team Member is an experienced team member working in the construction division of the company. This position will begin by working individually and grow into a team of two or more, in the construction of pergolas, arbors, trellises, decks, porches, pool houses (exterior and interior). The Carpentry Team Leader is able to operate a variety of equipment and has extensive knowledge of carpentry techniques and methods of installation and construction. They have advanced knowledge in construction means, methods, techniques, electricity, basic plumbing and works with minimal supervision.
- Reads blueprints and has a working knowledge of grades, topography, and mathematical calculations.
- Takes measurements and calculates the size of material, to minimize waste.
- Assists Sales and Estimating in the estimation and design of potential carpentry projects
- Operates a variety of equipment included, but not limited to: back hoes, track loaders, excavators, trenchers, tillers, straw blower, chain saws, electric saws and other miscellaneous small hand tools.
- Operates automatic and stick-shift vehicles as well as commercial trucks and truck and trailer combinations.
- Routinely interacts with clients by way of introductions at the beginning of the job, answering questions, responding to clients, informing production and/or sales team of potential changes or client requests.
- Responsible for recording the crew members time, completing forms and other paperwork, on a daily basis and ensuring its accuracy. Tracks material used and received on jobsites.
- Assists with the production in planning and organizing the job, ensuring that sufficient resources and materials are available. Also ensures the job is completed efficiently within the hours allotted, to produce a quality end product.
- Must manage and coach a team of two or more employees to help develop their skills. Must communicate to HR about personnel issues, and ensuring team members receive the proper training
- Maintains a clean, safe and efficient worksite and ensures equipment is properly maintained.
- Responsible for all tools being returned to the shop at the end of a workday, tagging any tools needing repairs.
- Assists with snow removal operations in the winter months.
- Performs daily check-ins with Group Leader by 3PM to discuss current project status and equipment needs for the following day.
- Works as a team member as needed throughout Southern Landscape Group.
The majority of the time (greater than 80%) will be spent in an outdoor environment, with limited ability to control noise, airborne contaminants and temperature. Be able to lift regularly 80 pounds.
The employee is expected to work the assigned hours at Southern Landscape Group from Monday through Friday and Saturdays as needed. The work hours required of this position may be long when extended schedules are necessary. This is an hourly wage position with a normally expected work week of 40-50 hours, but the person in this position is expected to work those hours needed to successfully satisfy the responsibilities and duties of the position.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- A high school degree or GED is required as well as four years of documented experience in the hardscape field.
- Candidate must be able to read and write legibly.
- The individual will have a working knowledge of standard construction practices, basic understanding of plumbing and electricity.
- Good oral and written communication skills, job planning skills and mechanical aptitude are a must
- Must be able to use mobile devices for time tracking, data entry and work order retrieval