The Horticulturist/Gardener is an experienced team member working under the supervision of a team leader. The primary function of the Horticulturist/Gardener is to assist the Team Leader in performing horticultural services on jobs. The Horticulturist/Gardener is able to operate a variety of equipment and has thorough horticultural knowledge as well as lighting, water gardens, and irrigation.
- Performs a wide variety of horticultural tasks to ensure attractive landscapes and an optimal level of plant health including weed control, certain perennial plant practices, pruning, pesticide applications and irrigation adjustments. Will perform seasonal annual plantings as well as small landscape installations.
- Learns and has a working knowledge of all properties, responsibilities and knows limits of work
- Diagnoses pest issues, makes recommendations and/or takes remedial action to as dictated by management or company policy. Diagnoses other site problems and makes recommendations to repair.
- Working knowledge on cleaning water features, notes dead or damaged plant material, repair or replace low-voltage lighting, and perform minor repairs on irrigation.
- Operates small and medium duty equipment.
- Operates automatic and stick-shift vehicles as well as commercial trucks and truck and trailer combinations
- Assists the team leader as requested in interacting with clients by way of introductions at the beginning of a job, answering questions, responding to client requests, making reasonable changes to the plan, and providing a walk-through at the job's completion.
- Assists the team leader as requested in completing the necessary paperwork including timesheets, work orders, change orders, material requisitions, and client service tickets
- Assists the team leader as requested in planning and organizing the job, ensuring that sufficient resources and materials are available. Also ensures that job is completed in the most time-efficient manner.
- Maintains a clean and safe work-site and ensures equipment is properly maintained.
- Maintains assigned equipment and notified Team Leader of needed repairs.
- Works as a member of the team.
- Assists with snow removal operations in the winter months.
- Supports the company’s mission, goals, and strategic plans.
- The majority of the time (greater than 80%) will be spent in an outdoor environment, with limited ability to control noise, airborne contaminants and temperature. Be able to lift regularly 80 pounds.
- The employee is expected to work the assigned hours at Southern Landscape Group from Monday through Friday and Saturdays as needed. The work hours required of this position may be long when extended schedules are necessary. This is an hourly wage position with a normally expected work week of 40-50 hours, but the person in this position is expected to work those hours needed to successfully satisfy the responsibilities and duties of the position.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- A high school degree or GED is required as well as four years of documented experience in the hardscape field.
- Candidate must be able to read and write legibly.
- The individual will have a basic knowledge of standard horticultural practices including planting, pruning and fertilization.
- Good oral and written communication skills, job planning skills and mechanical aptitude are a must
- Virginia Driver’s License with a record that is insurable by company’s agent.
This position requires that the individual be actively working on the following certifications:
- VDACS Pesticide Applicator
- First/Aid and CPR
- The employee will work closely with members of the team, team leaders, group leaders, and clients.