Under the general direction of the Maintenance Supervisor, the General Maintenance Technician performs skilled work in the maintenance and repair of Greenville University facilities including routine and extensive maintenance and repair procedures on buildings, mechanical equipment and utility systems using carpentry, electrical, and mechanical processes.
- Performs maintenance and repair for all University properties and equipment including the following;
- Performs preventative maintenance procedures on building mechanical equipment on a scheduled basis; replaces filters, inspects belts, greases bearings and troubleshoots various HVAC problems.
- Repairs and replaces defective equipment, components or wiring
- Inspects and tests systems to verify proper function and to detect potential malfunctions
- Maintains, inspects and troubleshoots a variety of commercial kitchen equipment including ice machines and coolers/freezers
- Installs, connects and adjusts thermostats and timers to control building temperatures
- Troubleshoots, repairs, and installs plumbing fixtures such as sinks, commodes, garbage disposal units, and dishwashers
- Repairs and maintains plumbing by replacing leaky faucet parts, mending pipes and opening clogged drains
- Tests electrical circuits or components for continuity using electrical testing equipment
- Provides routine and emergency equipment repairs during regular scheduled hours and may be called in for after hour emergencies as needed
- Completes routine maintenance tasks and general preventative maintenance tasks and work orders as needed
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Must be able to perform each essential duty listed below satisfactorily. These requirements are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill, and ability required;
- Mechanical & operational knowledge of machines & tools related to residential and commercial structures including HVAC and electrical equipment
- Skill to perform routine maintenance on a variety of equipment and determine when and what kind of maintenance is needed
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify issues and problems and the skill to take necessary actions to complete repairs
- Ability to communicate with a variety of stake-holders and convey information effectively
- Ability to manage time and tasks in an efficient and productive manner
- Ability to take individual initiative as well as cooperate as a vital team member
- High school diploma and valid Illinois state drivers license required
- 3 - 5 years of related maintenance experience with demonstrated and verifiable skills including, but not limited to, mechanical, electrical, plumbing systems, carpentry, building structure/envelope maintenance.
- Manual dexterity to walk, climb, stand, bend, twist, kneel, stoop, crouch and crawl to work on various parts of building structures and equipment necessary to perform job duties
- Lift objects up to 75 pounds
- Ability to climb ladders and scaffolds
- Ability to properly handle powered and non-powered tools, equipment and machinery
- Vision to read work requests, blueprints and diagrams, manual and regulations
- Speech and hearing for communicating instructions, information and work requests
- Frequent travel within the college complex and local community is required
Greenville University's Mission:
Greenville University is liberal arts University that empowers students for lives of character and service through a transforming Christ-centered education in the liberal arts, sciences, and professional studies.
Our hiring practices reflect our commitment to be a Christ-centered institution.
Greenville University's Commitment to Diversity:
It is the policy of Greenville University not to discriminate on the basis of age, color, ethnic or national origin, disability, race, gender or prior military service in its educational programs, admissions or employment policies. Greenville University is committed to an environment of cultural and ethnic diversity; women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
The university is located 50 miles east of St. Louis in an attractive residential community of approximately 7,000 people. Greenville University was founded in 1892 and is affiliated with the Free Methodist Church yet draws students from 40+ denominations. For additional information, please visit our website: www.greenville.edu.