The responsibility of the Assistant Teacher is to assist with the implementation of the early childhood developmentally educational program. The Assistant Teacher will work with the teacher in developing activities that will be presented to parents.
Duties and Responsibilities
1) Work as a team with the teacher, parents and other volunteers in preparing and carrying out the daily activities of the classroom.
2) Work with the teacher and parents to develop a culturally relevant education program of classroom activities and group socialization activities, complemented by activities that can be carried out at home.
3) Complete and review child developmental assessment in conjunction with the teacher.
4) Help to organize the classroom into specific learning centers, with developmentally and culturally appropriate materials in each learning center.
5) Create a warm, inviting atmosphere for parents, children and staff in the classroom.
6) Maintain confidentiality in all matters pertaining to families and children. Share information only with staff “need to know” in order to assure the healthy development of children and to assist in areas of family needs.
7) Participate in completing all required record keeping, such as attendance forms, volunteer logs, meal participation sheet, permission slips etc.
8) Assist in writing weekly lesson plans and progress reports.
9) Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
10) Ability to lift from 20 to 40 pounds during the day, stand for a long period during the day, and walk 3 miles on a weekly basis.
Qualifications for Position
1) Child Development Associate (CDA) or 3 Early Childhood Education credits.
2) Two (2) years experience working in a classroom in the field of early care and education, preferably with a preschool population and working families.
3) Knowledge of or experience working with at-risk children.
4) Bilingual, bicultural, in the Latino culture preferred.