The Chicago Sun-Times is the hardest-working paper in America, covering the stories and issues that matter most to Chicago’s working women and men with depth, integrity and grit. Winner of eight Pulitzer Prizes, the Sun-Times features hard-hitting investigative reporting, in-depth political coverage, insightful sports analysis, entertainment reviews and cultural commentary, both in print and online.
We are looking for a Senior Accountant to join our Accounting and Finance team, reporting directly to the Controller. The ideal candidate is an accounting professional with strong problem-solving, critical-thinking, and analytical skills.
- Manage general ledger, perform month-end and year-end closing procedures, and ensure compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Prepare monthly and annual financial statements
- Assist with preparation of corporate budget and individual department budgets
- Perform detailed analysis on financial reports and budgets to understand variances
- Assist Controller with preparing documents and reports and interpreting financial information for C-Suite executives and Board Members
- Document business processes, accounting policies, and standard operating procedures to maintain and strengthen internal controls and streamline processes
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations
- Conduct monthly and quarterly account reconciliations to ensure accurate reporting and general ledger maintenance
- Perform non-routine tasks requiring sound judgment and initiative
Note: Although we are all working remotely at this time due to COVID-19 restrictions, the candidate would need to be in the Chicagoland area and be able to come into the office a few times a week as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Advanced level knowledge of Excel and other Microsoft Office Suite products
- Experience using ERP software systems
- Ability to troubleshoot and research solutions to problems
- Ability to manage projects in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or CMA (Certified Management Accountant)
- Experience using cloud-based Oracle software
- Experience with ERP software implementation
What We Offer
- Opportunity to work within a collaborative team culture
- Comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, 401(k), paid holidays and commuter benefits
- Convenient West Loop location close to public transit.
- Opportunity to be part of an iconic brand!
Sun-Times Media Productions does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, citizenship or national origin, veteran status or on any other basis which would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law.