Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence Region
Position: School-Based Program Coordinator (Beyond School Walls)
Location: Norristown, PA (currently remote, work-from-home)
Job Status: Full-time, non-exempt
Reports To: Team Leader, School-Based Mentoring
Effective Date: February 4, 2021
AGENCY OVERVIEW AND JOB DESCRIPTION
JOIN A FORWARD-THINKING AGENCY THAT SEEKS TO ENSURE THAT ALL YOUTH ACHIEVE THEIR FULL POTENTIAL. Big Brothers Big Sisters Independence (BBBSI) is the largest BBBS agency in the state and fourth largest in the nation. Our mission is to create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth, while working collaboratively to strengthen the quality of the mentoring field and close the mentoring gap.
BBBSI seeks a full-time School-Based Program Coordinator to facilitate three to four Beyond School Walls programs. This position supports our Beyond School Walls (BSW) workplace mentoring program, where students from local students “Littles” meet with their mentors “Bigs” at their workplace. This position will facilitate Beyond School Walls curriculum for BSW programs and support the mentoring matches. This full-time position requires regional travel within the agency’s service area in Southeastern PA, and some evening/weekend work with the majority of time spent during traditional work hours.
Child Safety & Match Support
1. Provide match support at schools and corporate locations to ensure child safety, positive impacts for youth, constructive and satisfying relationships between children and volunteers, and a strong sense of affiliation with BBBS on the part of volunteers.
2. Meet or exceed goals in the following areas: clients interviewed, number of matches made, match support compliance, match support quality, match closure rate, average match length, survey compliance, and customer satisfaction.
3. Effectively utilize on-line database system for recording and reviewing all child/mentor match details.
4. Build relationships with partner corporations and schools through coordination with teachers, principals, counselors and corporate liaisons. Act as liaison with site-based contacts to ensure effective implementation of program and coordination of all site-specific needs.
Little Recruitment, Interviewing & Match Making
5. With the assistance of school liaisons, enroll children with proper paperwork and conduct volunteer and youth assessments/updates as indicated.
6. Work with and receive input from Enrollment team to make matches according to assessments and recommendations from the Intake process.
7. Effectively plan and implement program logistics and activities for three to four Beyond School Walls program sites.
8. Facilitate engaging match activities twice a month at each site for mentors and mentees to enhance match relationships and develop strong partnerships at the school site and corporation.
9. Provide friendly, approachable customer service and represent the Agency and our mission in a professional and positive manner.
Academic Requirements: Bachelor’s degree (OR an Associate’s Degree and a minimum 4 years relevant experience OR no degree but a minimum of 8 years relevant experience OR within six months of Bachelor’s degree completion).
Professional Experience: Experience working with adult and youth populations and with socio-economically diverse populations is required. Spanish speaking skills are a plus. Must possess the ability to effectively utilize BBBSI’s internal database systems for tracking and recording information.
Additional Requirements: Must have dependable, daily access to a car, valid driver's license, and meet state-required automobile insurance minimums for the purpose of traveling to schools and corporate partners.
Must be a self-starter with strong organizational, communication and customer service skills; have the ability to interact with and relate well to others, and possess the ability to work independently. Must be flexible; have a positive, can-do attitude; and have a strong desire to work in an industry that focuses on helping others. Our best employees 1) set the bar high 2) are intentional and thoughtful about their choices 3) collaborate as a means to community solutions 4) are positive, can-do, and solution-oriented 5) embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion, and 6) are accountable and get it done.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing work in an office and school environment and include the essential functions of this job.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The ability to work independently; remain sedentary for extended periods of time (6+ hours per day); lift 10-15lbs; push, pull, bend kneel, as needed for normal operations.
Please submit a cover letter and resume.
Note: only those applicants believed to be viable candidates for this opportunity will be contacted. No phone calls please.
WHO SHOULD APPLY
Educators, social workers, youth workers, and recent graduates with a passion for working with youth and a desire to work for a strong mission driven organization should apply. At BBBSI, we serve more than 2,400 children annually in Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties in Pennsylvania, and Burlington, Camden and Gloucester Counties in New Jersey. Our aspiration is to develop an organization that reflects our constituent base. BBBSI promotes a culture of inclusion and seeks talented staff from diverse backgrounds. BBBSI is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, veteran status, first and second-generation immigrants, and people from low-income families, or any legally protected factor.
** This position is currently remote. Staff will be given a minimum of two (2) weeks advance notice before transition back into the office.