The Engagement Strategy Manager is part of the newly-envisioned Employer Engagement Team and has the unique opportunity to build and grow an innovative strategy for employer engagement within Detroit’s workforce system. This role will create, coordinate, and engage select employer, training, and community partners to maintain the pulse on and recommend systemic changes to achieve a clear and dynamic workforce development system from the perspective of one or more of the MWDB’s industry focus areas: Construction, Manufacturing, Technology, or Healthcare, and is responsible for creating and implementing the workforce strategy for that industry, including building pathways into employment for Detroit residents. The position will help employers identify specific entry-level and mid-level jobs that the workforce system can prepare Detroiters to fill and will work closely with other Detroit at Work senior leaders to build training, incentive, and recruitment strategies for those roles.
This role is a part of a team of Engagement Strategy and Engagement Initiative Managers who all report to the Director of Employer Engagement.
• Works under the direction of the Director of Employer Engagement
• Creates and staffs industry partnerships, councils and committees as they are established by the MWDB
• Designs targeted marketing and outreach strategies with the Communications team
• Collects and analyzes data concerning talent needs of employers from a named industry
• Actively engages existing employer customers and cultivates relationships with new employers in Detroit
• Works with employers to understand their hiring needs and identifies shared training and incentive opportunities within their target sector
• Works with Detroit at Work and community partners to develop employer-driven, customized, on-the-job, training and incentive programs
• Identifies opportunities for cross-industry partnerships
• Manages relationships with partner organizations, including employer associations, training providers, neighborhood organizations, and workforce development organizations
• High level of critical and creative thinking with a demonstrated ability to produce results
• Demonstrated ability to promote collaboration and build coalitions across a wide range of internal and external stakeholder groups
• Demonstrated experience in crafting and implementing robust and creative strategic plans
• Understanding of budgets and research
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; skilled in group facilitation and making oral presentations
• Computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet, etc.) and advanced experience working within a Customer Relationship Management system (Salesforce or Microsoft Dynamics preferred)
• Open to working outside of the typical work day to meet with stakeholders and attend community events
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. US work authorization is required.
Education and Experience:
• Experience working with leaders at all level of organizations, including the C-Suite, and particularly HR; additional experience developing partnerships with civic and community leaders
• Experience in and/or knowledge of the private sector and business practices in one of the focus industries
• 5+ years of progressive responsibility in business, recruitment, external affairs, public administration, or higher education; preferably in an externally-facing role
• Background in or exposure to workforce development through employers, community-based organizations, or government highly desirable
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Master’s Degree in Business, Public Administration, Human Resources or a related field preferred
Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation (DESC) is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to enhancing equity, inclusion, and diversity within the organization. DESC actively seeks applications from women, persons of color, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and other underrepresented groups.