Part-Time (generally 20 hours per week, may require more hours during the beginning of the school year)
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School's mission is to empower young adults (18-20 year-olds) to develop skills and connect to opportunities by fostering an environment of love, support, and respect for their whole person. Students graduate high school and successfully transition to college and career as critically conscious leaders, committed to positive change for themselves and their communities.
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School provides an outstanding alternative education that activates the capacity of all students to learn, achieve, and grow. YBPCS will be recognized as a model of authentic experiential learning, not only among programs serving out-of-school youth but also among all high-achieving schools and youth programs in the country.
High expectations, a nurturing climate, personalized culture, and rigorous real-world learning experiences ensures that graduates are poised for life-long learning and career advancement. It is our vision that YouthBuild graduates will emerge as highly accomplished, self-sufficient, self-aware, and socially conscious citizens. Graduates will be energized about their futures and build support networks for their personal, social, and emotional health and well-being.
YouthBuild Philadelphia Charter School will maximize its capacity to engage each student’s passion, tap into his or her individual potential, and provide him or her with real opportunities for personal and professional transformation.
YBPCS’ values are deeply held and come from a love of humanity and a perspective that views each student as a community asset. The program’s three core values - respect, excellence, and perseverance – are reinforced through all aspects of the program.
Young people in Philadelphia who are disconnected will build skills and access resources and opportunities to achieve economic stability and personal development, and become critically conscious leaders within their communities.
Coordinate the health and safety aspects of student life at YouthBuild through ensuring compliance with mandatory student health-screening and immunization requirements and overseeing the school’s safety protocols.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Conduct annual vision and growth (height and weight) screenings for all students in compliance with the mandate of the PA Department of Health and create electronic and paper records to track
- Collect immunization data on all students upon enrollment from the City of Philadelphia and the Pennsylvania immunizations databases
- Identify those students who have not had the required immunizations, and organize opportunities for those students to receive those missing immunizations
- Complete and submit the annual online School Immunization Law Report (SILR) to the PA Department of Health by December 31 each year and other health related reports as required by funding agencies
- Proactively and consistently educate students and staff on health and safety best practices
- Develop, implement, support, and encourage wellness activities for staff and students
School Safety Oversight
- Actively serve on the School’s Safety Committee
- Maintain awareness of current CDC/PDE recommendations for safety protocols to be implemented in schools
- Provide recommendations and guidance on school safety policies and protocols in accordance with various governing bodies, i.e. CDC, PDE, health department, etc.
- Ensure YouthBuild policies and protocols remain up to date
- Advise on various safety and contact tracing tools/technology, as needed
- Coordinate student wellness initiatives to include flu shot/vaccination education and clinics, etc.
- Proactively participate in a highly collaborative, fluid school culture that requires strong interpersonal skills and flexibility
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor
- PA School Nurse certificate
- 1-2 years of previous experience with or working for a similar non-profit or school
- Experience with grant and file compliance preferred
- Flexible and open to change in regulations, duties, etc.
- Works well under deadlines
- Ability to lift 30 pounds
- Experience with and commitment to positive youth development and cultural competence
- Mission-driven to work with YB’s student body
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Office skills
- Advanced Google Suite skills
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice
- Demonstrated values that align to restorative practices
- Willingness to prioritize data collection, analysis, and sharing
- Willingness to reflect on impact data and incorporate that information into routine decision-making
Note: If selected, you will be required to reproduce the following items on the first day of employment.
- FBI - Criminal History Report
- PATCH - Pennsylvania Police Department - Criminal Background Check (and/or applicable based on State of residency)
- PA Child Abuse History Clearance
- TB Test Results
- Act 24 - Arrest Conviction Form
- Act 168 - Sexual Misconduct Disclosure Form
- NSOPW - National Sex Offender Clearance
The HR Department will provide the selected candidate with additional details regarding clearances and other job requirements.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee.
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, medical condition, veteran status or any other basis as protected by federal, state, or local law.