A little about us:
The Lieber Institute for Brain Development (LIBD) was established in 2010 to plot a new course in biomedical research that would change the lives of individuals affected with developmental brain disorders. We are one of the only research institutions in the world focused specifically on understanding how genes and the environment influence the way our brains develop that lead to conditions such as schizophrenia, autism, bipolar disorder and related developmental brain disorders. Through our cutting-edge research, answers are emerging and being translated into a robust pipeline of new drugs in development. And, by focusing on genes and their dynamic interplay with the environment, we are getting even closer to the “holy grail” in medical research, the discovery of strategies for primary prevention.
We are a group of dedicated, multidisciplinary and optimistic researchers, working at the cutting edge of science, utilizing state-of-the-art tools to unlock the mystery of the brain and transform the way we approach the development of new treatments, and ultimately cures. LIBD is an independent 501(c)(3) medical research institute located in the Bioscience Park on the campus of the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and Hospital in Baltimore, MD.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and self-motivated individual with significant experience in image analysis to join our interdisciplinary research team. The successful applicant will work together with multiple groups at the Institute to perform image-based analysis on multimodal microscopy data, to understand processes that are relevant for neuropsychiatric and neurodevelopmental disorders. Current projects include using 10X Genomics Visium platform to spatially register gene expression in postmortem human cortex, using in vivo optical imaging to measure behavior-driven neuronal activity, and smFISH confocal imaging of the post-mortem human brain.
Overview of Duties:
• Developing and conducting analysis of in vivo endoscopic imaging data
• Conducting analysis of confocal microscopy data, including smFISH in post-mortem brain
• Developing and conducting novel analyses on histology images acquired for Visium spatial transcriptomics
• Other duties as assigned
EEOC Statement: At the Lieber Institute, we are committed to a work environment of mutual respect where employment decisions are based on merit. As an equal opportunity employer, the Lieber Institute does not discriminate in employment opportunities on the basis of race, color, religion, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability (physical or mental), genetic information, military service, or other non-merit based factors protected by state or federal law or local ordinance, with regard to any position or employment for which the applicant or employee is qualified.
• BS in Neuroscience, Computational Biology, or a closely related field is required. MS degree preferred.
• Minimum of 3 years full-time research experience required.
• Experience with image processing in MATLAB or python is preferred
• Experience with data analysis in R is preferred
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Experience with CellProfiler, EBImage, Python-based image processing libraries such as OpenCV, Scikit-Image, Scipy, Matplotlib, Numpy, Python Image Library (PIL), or image processing in MATLAB would be advantageous
• Knowledge/experience in shell scripting, Linux commands and high performance computing is advantageous
• Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Remaining in a seated or standing position for extended periods of time;
- Reaching and grasping to manipulate objects with fingers;
- Mobility, including the ability to maneuver around a laboratory setting including the ability to move materials weighing up to 25 pounds;
- Communication skills using the spoken and written word;
- Having the ability to receive detailed information through oral communication;
- All other physical demands in a standard laboratory environment.
** If accommodations are needed due to pregnancy or a disability, please contact email@example.com