The Neighborhood Advisory Committee (NAC) Coordinator works with APM’s staff and Board of Directors to ensure the goals, values and services of the residents within the service area. He/She will do this by managing all aspects of the NAC contract program requirements and APM Operational Plan. The Coordinator will do this by working with existing staff to direct employees, interns and volunteers, working within budget guidelines and working with the Board on projects.
The ideal candidate is resourceful, ambitious, has an entrepreneurial spirit and should have an interest in grassroots community organizing and a passion for empowering community residents. The Coordinator must be professional; customer service oriented, organized and has the skills necessary to work with a diverse group of people. He/she will work collaboratively with other program staff to pursue the mission, advance a common vision, and to grow its capacity to be high performing organization. The Coordinator will maintain administrative standards; provide fiscal controls, direct fundraising efforts, and foster partnerships. A collaborative spirit is necessary in order to foster a cooperative work environment with other team members and the board.
- Asociación Puertorriquenos en Marcha (APM), a 501 (c) 3 nonprofit corporation, was established in 1971, and has endeavored to fulfill its mission of assisting families achieve their full potential in life. This is accomplished through bi-lingual and culturally-sensitive community economic development strategies. Since 1990, APM’s Community and Economic Development (CED) branch of APM built 332 units of affordable and market rate rental housing, along with 150 units of homeownership without a single foreclosure, and obtained financial and real estate investments of $158 million in its eastern North Philadelphia community. APM has increased property values by 270%. Wealth creation through asset-building and education is a cornerstone of APM's community and economic development strategy.
Function: The Coordinator will manage, delegate where necessary and complete the day to day activities required of Neighborhood Advisory Committee (NAC) under the standard contract with the City of Philadelphia. The Coordinator will manage, organize and implement initiatives, activities and events according to the NAC contract and the APM operational plan. These responsibilities and duties are subject to change based upon the needs of the organization and at the Board’s directive. Following is a breakdown of the Coordinators responsibilities; as this position encompasses a broad field, this list is not all-inclusive and is subject to amendments at any time.
- Refer residents to sources of assistance in city government and other organizations Pennsylvania property tax, rental rebates and energy assistance application (LIHEAP) completion.
- Provide assistance to residents and civic groups on city planning and zoning matters.
- Provide capacity-building assistance to community groups for neighborhood improvement.
- Organize, promote and conduct community meetings, briefings, special events and projects. Ensure meetings and events are well-organized, with proper representation for staff, board, or committee members, set-up and breakdown of meeting/events locations.
- Assist with NAC committee elections; maintain records of residential voting requirements.
- Create and periodically update directory of community resources.
- Disseminate information about neighborhood activities and events including coordination the publication of weekly news article and quarterly newsletter.
- Maintain business relations with elected and city officials.
- Responsible for implementation of OHCD contract; invoicing, contract compliance and operational requirements. Complete all aspects of Neighborhood Advisory Committee contract, coordinated with the Office of Housing and Community Development.
- Create office procedures. Develop and maintain appropriate records and reporting files for NAC services to include database of neighborhood issues.
- Development & Fundraising [grant research, writing, program development, promotion, reporting].
- Represent APM and the NAC with partner organizations, city agencies, neighborhood groups and meetings/events pertinent to mission of the organization.
- Liaison to Board of Directors, weekly updates, monthly reports and meeting attendance.
- Work with Board of Directors, Neighborhood Advisory Subcommittee, and other committees on various projects and procedures.
- Manage and supervise office staff, interns and volunteers to foster a collaborative, cooperative work environment
- Office management –liaison with vendors, consultants; making sure insurance is adequate, coordinating employee benefit plans; technology needs.
- Financial management (payroll, budgeting, A/R + A/P, bookkeeping), monthly financial reports, banking.
- Be able and willing to participate, delegate and assist with all types of organizational work (creating and distributing flyers, participating in clean-up events)