This full-time, salaried position will be part of the Student Services team which includes the Dean of Student Services, Director of Admissions, Director of Financial Aid, and Student Services Coordinator. Reporting to the Director of Admissions, the Admissions Counselor will travel and recruit on both the national and local levels, counsel prospective students on ministry vocations, and provide information about LSTC’s programs. The Admissions Counselor will work directly with colleges, churches, synods, and other ELCA seminaries.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represent LSTC’s programs and preparation for ministry offerings in a variety of contexts: college campuses, ELCA congregations and synods, camps, and denominational events.
- Work closely with congregations and colleges/universities in the Chicagoland area, as well as the midwestern region to cultivate relationships and recruit students.
- Attend college fairs and other external recruitment events within the midwestern region either virtually or by travelling to the territory.
- Maintain contact with prospective students responding to phone, email and/or text message inquiries.
- Assist with planning and hosting on-campus recruitment events.
- Guide prospective students through the admissions process -- answering questions, offering assistance, and troubleshooting problems.
- Achieve specific recruitment goals.
- Utilize enrollment management and customer relationship management software to manage prospective student communications.
- Assist with the onboarding of confirmed students.
- Retain confirmed students through census by continuing to offer support, troubleshoot problems, and offer guidance.
- Participate in and support the work of the admissions committee.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year, accredited institution.
- Able to maintain confidentiality and follow FERPA rules and regulations.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Organized, adaptable, and fast learner with strong customer service and time management skills.
- Must exhibit a high degree of intercultural competency and commitment to antiracism.
- Ability to build rapport with students and other stakeholders actively demonstrating grace and care.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Valid United States driver’s license and willingness to travel 1-3 days per week during peak travel season.
- One or more years of admissions or recruitment experience.
- Good working knowledge of the ELCA and LSTC, including a knowledge and/or willingness to learn of rostered ministry and other forms of full-time Christian services.
- Able to quickly learn and effectively use new systems and software.
- Experience leveraging social media for marketing purposes.
- Recognized as self-driven, creative, goal-oriented, diligent, outgoing, and motivational.
- Track record acting as a strong team player and having a positive, can-do attitude.
- Able to effectively work collaboratively as a part of a team and independently with little guidance.
LSTC is committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice. Women and/or persons from historically underrepresented cultural groups are especially encouraged to apply. We actively welcome and honor one another’s race, national/ethnic origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, physical ability, social status, and theological diversity.
Please submit a resume and letter of interest that includes: a) your reasons for applying, b) your work experience relevant to a seminary admissions counselor position, and c) a description of how you connect to LSTC’s mission.