Are you curious about the stories that data tells? Wayside Publishing has an exciting associate-level opportunity for an analytically minded researcher to support future innovations in Wayside Publishing print and online products. Join an agile team whose findings result in responsible business decisions and improved outcomes for thousands of middle and high school World Language classrooms.
As a Product Research Analyst, you will collect data on products and services, competitors and the World Language education market. This data may include online research, pulling and cleaning data from Salesforce, customer focus group feedback, and more. You will keep research organized to ensure that research folders provide internal stakeholders with the most recent updates on competitor activity.
In addition to ongoing market monitoring, your research will support "what's next". Under direction of Senior Product Research Analyst, you will oversee feedback loop processes to ensure that ongoing improvements to products reflect learner needs, and that new ideas are filtered into the new product idea pipeline. You will also sit in on interdepartmental workgroups and under the direction of the Senior Product Research Analyst, divide and conquer the tasks required to evaluate what new ideas should be prioritized based on impact for learners, market direction, and resources available.
This is a new position supporting the Senior Product Research Analyst on a small but nimble team that interacts with every other department within the organization. Markert knowledge and skills developed in the first 12-18 months of this position will set a self-starter up for rapid growth at Wayside Publishing. You'll know you're on the right track when you find yourself making connections across channels of pre-existing and incoming data and are seen as a trusted source of information by peers.
The Product Research Analyst position can be performed remotely, with an 8:30-4:30pm ET workday. Like all remote roles, a strong work ethic, self-discipline and time management are required. Clear expectations and deadlines will be provided for tasks, within which you can manage and prioritize your workload. It would also be advantageous for a candidate to live near the company headquarters in Freeport, ME but this is not a requirement.
- Utilize online research (search engines, competitor and state websites, industry memberships, social media forums, etc)
- Track and analyze the products and services being provided to secondary World Language classrooms
- Track and analyze audience segments by language, level, pedagogical preference, and geographic region
- Continue the organization of data within pre-existing central research space (clear folders and subfolders, shortcuts to information held by other departments); suggest and implement improvements that support usability for Sales
- Use Salesforce to mine for customer feedback from won/lost opportunities' email records and attachments, and to export reports
- Clean, sort, filter, and perform basic functions within Excel to make observations about data
- Synthesize data into reports in Word
- Under the direction of Senior Product Research Analyst, oversee feedback loop processes to ensure that ongoing improvements to product reflect learner needs and that new ideas are filtered into the new product idea pipeline
- Support the coordination of customer surveys and focus groups, provide summary reports on how results support or contradict internal beliefs
- Update and utilize Wrike for tasks/projects
- Create internal process documentation for colleagues
- Other duties as assigned
Required Skills Knowledge & Attributes
- A sincere passion and curiosity around the work. While research can feel theoretical, the results are real - better resources for teachers and learners in the real world
- An awareness of bias and an open mind about where research may take us. Our team may research an idea that is not developed, or encounter new data that changes our course.
- College-level coursework in business/marketing analytics OR 1-2 years professional experience performing basic business/marketing analytics OR commensurate experience articulated in your application
- Preference will be given to those with additional professional or college-level coursework related to World Language education or EdTech. Please articulate this connection in your application.
- Superior soft-analytical skills, evidenced by past research performed in a college course or professional setting: finding data that is relevant, making connections between data sources, making connections between data and human experience, intuitively rechecking when "it doesn't add up"
- Demonstrated success organizing information and files into digital spaces that are easy for a stakeholder to intuit
- Intermediate-high Excel skills. At a minimum candidate must be able to sort, filter, use formulas count, sum, IF/THEN, etc. The preferred candidate will have experience with higher-level probability functions.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Outlook and Word, writing emails, and word docs (reports) that feel professional and logical for the reader
- Entry-level experience with a CRM, Salesforce--enough to have a basic understanding of how data values and displays interact in a database
- Preferred: Prior experience managing tasks in an online environment such as Wrike (fine if your experience is in a similar environment such as slack, trello, etc.)
- Ability to juggle multiple projects at a time, shifting priorities as requested
- Must be able to take direction and learn from others
What We Offer?
- Competitive compensation
- Health insurance with options for supplemental insurances (Dental, Vision, Accident)
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability policies paid by the company
- Life insurance policy paid by the company with options for increased coverage
- Retirement savings plan with company contribution
- Paid holidays
- Work/life balance as a company value
Wayside Publishing is a K-12 publisher based in Freeport, Maine. Our language learning strategies embrace and reflect those endorsed by current research and by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages. Our goal is to engage students and teachers across the country in the pursuit of interculturality, global citizenship, and lifelong learning. Join our team.
We believe that traditional hiring policies can hurt the most marginalized people in society, including people of color, people from working-class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQ people. Because we believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.
Wayside Publishing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.
NO PHONE CALLS OR RECRUITERS PLEASE