This position contributes to the creation of a warm and welcoming environment for a diverse community of swimmers and is responsible for teaching swim lessons and assisting with the operation of the learn-to-swim program of the YWCA Evanston/North Shore Flying Fish Aquatics Program.
Instruction in Learn-To-Swim Program:
- Teaches swim lessons daily for all ages and levels
- Helps instruct community groups that come in for swim lessons
- Monitors/lifeguards and helps evaluate classes when not instructing
- Assists in ensuring the safety of patrons by preventing and responding to emergencies in the pool area
- Responsible for ensuring the safety of patrons by preventing and responding to emergencies in the pool area
- Understands and follows all appropriate Illinois and National safety procedures and policies
- Understands and adheres to all YWCA Evanston/North Shore procedures and policies as well as the YWCA employee handbook.
- Back up/assist other instructors and lifeguards when necessary
- Other duties as assigned by management
Education: Some High School or equivalent basic skills
Work Experience: Prior work experience not required.
General knowledge of swimming and youth development at many ages and levels – toddlers through pre-teen. Understanding of the program’s educational and swimming philosophy
American Red Cross Lifeguarding, 1st Aid, CPR
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with clients
- Attention to detail
- Cooperative attitude, team player
- Strong service orientation
- Tact and discretion
- Thorough understanding and ability to demonstrate various swimming skills and teaching progressions for various ages and levels
- Regularly required to sit and stand and be in water for lengthy periods of time
- Occasionally required to push, pull, lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to perform rescues which may require lifting/helping remove 150 plus pounds out of the water