General Position Summary:
The Senior Investment Manager is responsible for investment level value creation and profit maximization through acquisitions, development, redevelopment, leasing, asset management and dispositions. This position is part of a team of investment professionals with bottom-line profit and loss responsibility investing in office, multi-family and industrial segments of the market. This position will primarily focus on for-rent multifamily investments. The Senior Investment Manager will be responsible for establishing, advocating and implementing an investment strategy for each asset, which will be supported by complex financial models based on detailed underwriting informed via current market research. This position will be responsible to lead and direct a large team of internal and external resources to complete the objectives.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
- Works closely with senior leadership in the development of strategic business plans at the macro-market level in Puget Sound and Denver markets, relying on market data and supply and demand analysis.
- Responsible for identification and acquisition of investments that align with and fulfill the strategic plan objectives within the Puget Sound and Denver markets.
- Initiate, plan, present for approval and implement investment level strategy to maximize profits.
- Responsible for the evaluation of specific markets and neighborhoods to identify demographics, drivers and trend demand via primary and direct market data (focus groups, leasing agents, etc.) and in turn establish market offering best suited to capture tenant demand and maximize profits.
- Specifically oversees a team responsible for the marketing and leasing plan for development/investment opportunities, including all aspects of marketing materials and promotion, tenant relations and supervision of leasing agents (as applicable) to broadly expose property, anticipate competition, and secure lease-up.
- Create and maintain analyses of market rents, comparable lease and sale transactions, competitive supply, market vacancies, and other information as requested.
- Perform analysis and evaluation of submarkets, competitive set and prospective tenants.
- Pursue prospective tenants to establish leasing objectives for availabilities and constantly monitor and adjust to meet market conditions to ensure the achievement of stated development and investment goals.
- Understand and participate in negotiation and analysis of lease up and metrics to determine the impact of each lease on the value of each development/investment.
- Provide leadership, supervision and mentoring to other team members including Investment Coordinators, Investment Assistants and Investment Accountants as well as maintain quality control of internal team members’ work relating to budgets, cash requirements and adherence to the business plans.
- Provide asset management direction to property management team including identification of operational and management issues all in an effort to maximize value.
- Manages the acquisition or disposition of all investments including selecting brokers, performing asset review including appropriate marketing methods and pricing, approving content, quality and timing of offering materials. Lead response and negotiation efforts through execution of purchase and sale agreement, due diligence, closing and post-closing activities.
- Leads the selection and negotiation of service agreements with independent consultants for such things as land use planning, zoning, market evaluation, project design traffic analyses, etc.
- Manage design consultants and the design development process including managing all entitlement risk, and preconstruction design feasibility and cost estimating processes.
- Prepare internal requests for authorization of capital expenditure as well as internal and external project and portfolio level investment reports.
- Lead project execution team with responsibility for the establishment of the investment thesis, identifying and articulating the market opportunity, and the oversight of construction projects, coordination of designers, consultants and general contractor, etc.
- Participate in the development of strategic business plans at the macro-market level, relying on market data and supply and demand analysis.
- Monitor, forecast and assure adherence to the investment and development business plans within the established budget, schedule and required investment returns.
- Primary investment management interface for internal and external client/ownership relationships.
Specific Job Skills:
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office including PowerPoint, Excel, Word.
- Exceptional knowledge of financial analysis using Excel, Argus, or similar software is required.
- Strong business writing and presentation skills.
- Disciplined and driven.
- Ability to read write and speak English.
- Ability to be self-directed yet productive in a project-team environment.
- Ability to multi-task and shift focus quickly to meet company priorities which may change frequently and the ability to meet deadlines and peak workload requirements.
- Demonstrated project management and leadership ability, interpersonal and written communications skills.
- Demonstrate a ‘self-starter’, high quality work ethic and a high level of integrity and energy.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree required in business, finance, real estate management plus four or more years of related experience. Multi-family development experience is required, preferably both in the Puget Sound and Denver markets.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, sit and use hands and fingers to handle and feel. The employee is required to talk and must be able to read. The employee is occasionally required to stand and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee
encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position deals with a wide diversity of work situations. Incumbent must deal with continual
interruptions, requiring a high degree of flexibility. Work requires extensive telephone and PC use. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate consisting of usual business office sounds including but not limited to computers, printers, telephones, and light traffic.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The Company’s vision, mission, promise, culture, values and goals are at the heart of every decision made. The Company takes pride in and fiercely protects its 5 core fundamental values:
- Disciplined – Prepare for anything. Anticipate, ask questions and clarify. Own every moment. Don’t run from risk; mitigate it to create value. Keep your eye on the prize while obsessing over the details. Driven – Work with passion and ambition. Be relentless and work with urgency.
- Bold – Pioneer true innovation and be motivated by the unknown. Thrive in uncertainty to outperform the expected.
- Authentic – Work without ego and be a doer, not a talker. Be fair but candid and always willing and able to roll up your sleeves.
- ‘Cowboy Family’ – Be all in with the firm; pushing and protecting each other to achieve greatness and exceed all expectations. Take pride in being a difference maker and for making a material impact.
This unwavering focus makes the Company a recognized and well-respected vanguard in the industry and maintains the framework that allows for superior communications, sound and decisive decision making, diversity of thought, and unparalleled business practices, rigor and innovation.
Schnitzer West is an Equal Opportunity Employer.