The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is seeking a motivated Production Editor with knowledge of manuscript editing and preparation, book production, and the publication process from draft manuscript to release of print and digital products for purchase. In this full-time, work-from-home, flexible position, you will facilitate the transition of manuscripts from development through production, coordinate the inventory and distribution of Academy products, and work closely with the Manager of Production and Digital Content Development on the production of a wide variety of print and digital products, including ebooks, apps, and web-based publications.
• Proofread or copy edit manuscripts when necessary, applying proper styles including in-house style guidelines.
• Make recommendations to the Manager of Production and Digital Content Development for changes to the manuscript that would affect page design prior to sending off for composition.
• Manage editorial products from copy edit through publishing, including facilitating peer review, maintaining, and updating project calendars, and researching permissions.
• Prepare files and products for distribution to internal and external stakeholders.
• Review page and cover proofs in production; mark and check corrections to ensure that files released for publication are error-free.
• Work with Manager of Production and Digital Content Developer and other team members to refine book design and/or page layout for publications.
• Perform day-to-day tasks related to the development, manufacture, and distribution of Academy products, such as writing printer specifications and requests for cost estimates, scheduling projects, monitoring inventory levels, trafficking files and proofs, processing invoices, and maintaining file archives.
• Use content management systems to structure and edit web products that provide optimal user experience.
• Retrieve and report analytics, such as sales, revenues, and patterns of use for apps, ebooks, and online products and make forecasts for ordering more copies of existing publications.
• Conduct quality assurance, usability, and user experience tests on apps, web products, and ebooks, and work with vendors, editors, and manager to efficiently troubleshoot and resolve issues.
• Research and identify potential solutions to production challenges (digital and print), and provide advice to editorial team about cost-effective, forward-thinking options for specific products or product lines.
• Proactively suggest and implement workflow improvements that increase efficiency of print and digital production and/or lower costs.
The Academy is looking for an individual with basic knowledge of a publishing environment. The ideal candidate has the following:
· A bachelor’s degree in a related area, e.g., liberal arts, communication, writing, or publishing.
· Experience or interest in working in the publishing industry. Highly proficient in project management. Demonstrated record of at least 1 to 5 years success in prioritizing and managing multiple projects under deadlines.
· Professional experience or formal training in manuscript editing, including the use of style guides. Intermediate knowledge of American Medical Association (AMA) style strongly preferred.
· Deep knowledge of utilizing styles in MS Word is required. Proficiency with Adobe Acrobat Pro as well as other products in the MS Office suite and Adobe Creative Cloud is preferred.
· Experience working with vendors and colleagues to provide quality assurance and resolve technical issues related to development, improvement, and maintenance of digital and print products.
· Informed about trends in digital publishing, including ebooks, apps, and interactive web products. Capable of applying this knowledge to the development and maintenance of specific digital publications.
· Exhibits excellent communication skills, analytical skills, and people skills.
· Holds basic understanding of HTML, web portals and/or content management systems.
· Superior oral and written communication skills, including ability to facilitate communications between technology vendors and individuals without technological backgrounds.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (Academy) offers a salary commensurate with experience as well as an excellent benefit package including medical, dental, LTD, tuition reimbursement, and 401k match with IMMEDIATE VESTING! Telecommuting option is available.
The Academy promotes a friendly, professional, and challenging team-based work environment. Also, the Academy’s office is conveniently located near public transportation: two major Metra train stations (Union and Ogilvie), CTA lines and major bus routes are all within a few blocks.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.