JOB SUMMARY: The nursing supervisor is responsible for the supervision of nursing practice and resident care on the assigned shift, in collaboration with the nurse managers.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Use the ANA standards of gerontological nursing practice as framework for professional responsibilities.
• Attend and participate in nursing department management meetings.
• Be familiar with and able to interpret and enforce all Church Home policies and regulations; consistently practice compliance with established policies and procedures.
• Be competent in performing the duties of a CNA and LPN.
• Assist with new staff orientation in collaboration with the staff education coordinator and staffing coordinator.
• Supervise and monitor nursing staff activities and assist with problem-solving during rounds as needed.
• Contribute to staff performance evaluations.
• Utilize the discipline process when staff counseling is warranted.
• Monitor and assess staffing levels on own shift as well as the following shift. Replace staff who calls in absent according to the nursing department protocols.
• Communicate with other health care professionals (nurse managers, clinical coordinator, nursing administration, nurse practitioners, physicians, dietitians, therapists, social workers) on a regular and timely basis as needed.
• Discuss/gather information from the supervisor (or nurse manager) of the previous shift each day.
• Initiate and/or participate in quality assurance monitoring and evaluation of resident care.
• Conduct walking rounds on units and in dining areas to assess safe, accurate quality care is being delivered by staff to residents and document accordingly.
• Create an environment of respect for the residents. Assist and guide staff to maintain
privacy, resident rights and a quiet, peaceful environment.
• Follow established plan for resident emergency and/or staff incidents.
• Implement principles of universal precautions.
• Observe all residents and their environment who are on isolation precautions. Monitor staff compliance.
• Respond to emergency situations according to established Church Home disaster plan. Assume incident manager role and implement emergency response plan.
• Notify administrator on call per established plan.
• Report unsafe condition to security, maintenance as soon as possible.
• Document all incidents/accidents and follow through per policy.
• Familiar with established emergency procedures and staff incidents.
• Monitor staff for use of proper body mechanics in moving/transferring Residents and equipment.
QUALIFICATIONS: Ability to use adult learning principles to plan, teach, direct and assist with learning activities of nursing staff. Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds. May be required to lift, pull and push with resident transfer procedures. Ability to interact courteously and tactfully with staff, residents, family members, visitors, vendors and the general public.
EDUCATION: Current registered nurse licensure in New York State.
EXPERIENCE: Five years experience as a Registered Nurse. At least one year supervisory experience.