Department: Head Start & Early Learning Programs
Position: School Bus Driver
Location: Westfield, Northampton, or Greenfield/Turners Falls
Supervisor: Transportation Supervisor
Safely transport children to and from home and school following employer, state and federal guidelines.
- High school diploma or GED
- Minimum 6 months operating experience with CDL License including S and P endorsements.
- Knowledge of the Department of Transportation and the Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
- Head Start Transportation Regulations, and all State and Federal guidelines and regulations
- Knowledge and experience with vehicle inspections and maintenance
- Maintain current First Aid and CPR
- Conduct routine maintenance and safety checks of the vehicle.
- Report immediately any malfunctioning of vehicles to the Transportation Supervisor.
- Assist with scheduling bus routes to best meet family and program needs. Monitor routes regularly to ensure children are on the bus no longer than 45 minutes.
- Complete daily passenger logs as required by the Department of Early Education and Care (EEC).
- Physically walk through vehicle at the end of each route inspecting all seat surfaces, under all seats and in all compartments or recesses in the vehicles interior to ensure no children remain on the bus.
- Remove or insert child five point seats.
- Abide by all of the conditions pertaining to the authorization to operate Community Action vehicles or the operation of a privately owned vehicle on Community Action business. Produce evidence of a good driving record.
- Operate the vehicle in a safe and efficient manner adhering to all motor vehicle laws and regulations.
- Attend all appropriate program workshops and meetings, including.
- Adhere to agency confidentiality policies.
- Maintain good in-house relationships with all other staff members.
- Basic computer skills: using a mouse, email, Microsoft office.
- Strong communication skills both verbal and written.
- Operate school bus and equipment.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
The physical demand and work environment described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, talk, use a keyboard and climb stairs, operate bus and equipment.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- The employee must have the ability to drive a personal vehicle and program vehicles, as needed.
- The noise level on the bus is lively. The noise level of the office is generally quiet. The work environment is primarily on the bus environment, with daily exposure to outdoor weather.
Employment is contingent upon the following: a satisfactory Background Record Check (BRC) which includes Criminal Offender Record (CORI), Department of Children and Families (DCF) background check, a Sex Offender Registry (SORI), and -based national and state criminal history check. BRC and fingerprinting-based national and state criminal history check is to be completed every three years. In addition, employment is contingent on a negative drug screen, evidence of physical exam within the past year, plus verifications of MMRs and TB. Documentation of subsequent physical exams must be submitted every 2 years. Must have evidence of a good driving record and ability to be covered under Community Action’s non-owned and hired vehicle policy.
EMPLOYEE NAME (PRINT)