Avondale House is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit agency that provides, educational services to children with autism, a day habilitation program for young adults, where clients receive training in daily living skills and pre-vocational activities, employment services for those with disabilities and four residential homes for individuals unable to live in their own home. Avondale House has been serving individuals with autism since 1976.
Avondale House offers a generous benefit program that includes medical with an employer contribution, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance, vacation, holiday, and sick leave.
- Implements ABA based IEP’s and ABA Behavior Plan within assigned classroom.
- Collaborates with related service providers to implement Functional Communication Training, OT/PT skills and others as determined by ARD.
- Works with in-house team of Education Specialist, BCBA and Behavior Support to provide highly structured learning environment for students.
- Participates in quarterly reviews and annual IEP meetings.
- Collects data on data sheets on behavior and academics.
- Monitors and engages with students at all times.
- Ensures ratio compliance.
- Sets duty schedule for each person, including lunch/breaks.
- Prepares classroom with Teaching Assistants for instructional day.
- Monitors and supports student arrivals and assists student dismissals (either bus lane, hallway or classroom as determined by teacher).
- Cleans and prepares the classroom for next day.
- Makes copies of student’s work.
- Shows compassion, builds rapport and encourages participants to develop into their full potential.
- Keeps participants on task and redirects as necessary.
- Works with staff throughout Avondale House to meet the needs of each student.
- TEA Certified Special Education Teacher EC-12.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- One year of experience working with students with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- Ability to take initiative in planning and starting classroom activities.
- Ability to manage non-compliant and aggressive behaviors according to state and school policies.
- Patient, authoritative personality.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Ability to implement CPI, Non-Violent Crisis Intervention.
- Lifting/Moving up to 50 lbs and lifting moving up to 100 plus lbs with assistance.
- Ability to stand on your feet for 2-3 hours at a time.
- Stooping, kneeling, pushing and pulling may be required in this position.
- Must be capable of physically restraining students when necessary.
- Must be able to handle situations that may be volatile or stressful at times.
Background Check Required
The above statements are intended to describe the work being performed by others assigned to this position. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. This job description may be amended at any time by management.
Avondale House is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability status, genetics, or sexual orientation and gender identity.