Plant Prefab is the first Certified B Corporation™ building technology company dedicated to sustainable design, materials, and operations. The company’s patented Plant Building System™ utilizes advanced digital modeling and fully customizable Plant Panels™ and Plant Modules™ to help architects, developers, general contractors, and individuals design and build multifamily and custom single-family homes 20 to 50 percent faster than site-based methods. The system provides better quality control, design flexibility, and time, cost, and material efficiency than traditional methods of offsite or on-site construction.
Plant Prefab has two factories in California (Rialto, Ontario) and a design studio and show home in Santa Monica. With a mission to build a better world by design, Plant Prefab was the first housing prefabricator to announce a net zero goal and has achieved carbon neutrality in their operations since 2020. Plant Prefab is backed by leading investors including Amazon, Asahi Kasei, Gerdau Paris Ventures, Obvious Ventures, and others. For more information, visit plantprefab.com.
Plant Prefab is seeking an ambitious and energetic Business Development Manager to build and drive Plant’s outreach to small and mid-size residential developers. The goal of this position is to source new project opportunities primarily within key multi-family segments, introducing them to our value proposition and giving them confidence to build smarter with Plant. When these new clients experience the benefits of working with us, we expect ongoing business from successive projects. Secondarily, this position will also contribute to the qualification of inbound leads consisting of B2C consumer inquiries for custom single-family homes. The position will be based in Ontario, CA office and report to the Director of Business Development.
- Develop an aggressive growth strategy focused on segmenting and targeting key residential developer and architect clients. Pursue opportunities in both single-family communities and small/mid-size (<150 units) multi-family segments.
- Conduct research to identify prospects, including but not limited to: target geographies, visionary developers who are interested in building prefab, upcoming projects from each target, key drivers of target clients that match our value proposition, and competitive landscape.
- Partner with marketing team to develop customized presentations and other materials, as appropriate, for outreach and pitches.
- Arrange business meetings with key decision-makers at target firms and convey how Plant’s capabilities meet their needs, clearly establishing the schedule, cost, and other measurable benefits of building their project with Plant.
- Attend relevant industry events to promote our brand and network with prospects to identify project targets.
- Create contract-winning proposals and nurture opportunities to secure signed contracts for preconstruction and design services.
- Assist the team with qualification of inbound inquiries from consumer clients to design and/or build single-family custom homes for them.
- Set clear expectations with clients early and often to ensure a successful journey from initial contact through the fabrication, install and post-build phases.
- Capture your research and manage daily operations through Plant’s CRM software. Create and run reports as appropriate to measure and track your success on key performance metrics.
- Provide transparent feedback on how clients receive Plant’s value proposition, identifying and resolving any misses and helping to continuously improve our outreach materials and methods.
- Become a subject matter expert on Plant’s services, products, processes, and operations, and remain up to date on industry trends.
- Continuously promote Plant to architect and developer prospects, establishing trust and rapport that leads to project opportunities.
- Build long-term relationships with new and existing customers with the goal of partnering on multiple projects over time.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- 7-10 years of experience as a Business Development Manager, Sales Executive, or a relevant role as a hunter of new business
- A proven track record of successful selling in B2B sales
- Extensive experience selling complex, custom products and solutions with long sales cycles
- A good understanding of the residential housing, architecture and construction markets
- Outstanding ability to find and connect with key decision makers and quickly build rapport with them
- Professional and polished verbal and written communication skills, including facilitation of group presentations
- Excellent time management and planning skills, disciplined to capture learnings and data in our CRM platform
- A self-starter who also plays well with a team
- A genuine interest in Plant’s mission, alignment with Plant’s values, and the desire to help Plant change the residential homebuilding industry
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and common CRM platforms (e.g., Salesforce)
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or a related field
- Competitive compensation (salary, discretionary bonus, and stock options) commensurate with experience and skills
- Excellent medical, vision, and dental insurance
- The opportunity to work with great architects and meaningfully contribute to projects that improve the quality of life for people and the planet
Please apply on Paylocity, taking care to complete all required fields.
Applicants must be authorized to legally work in the U.S.; sorry, no sponsorship is available. Applicants may be subject to passing a background check, drug screening, and pre-employment physical. Plant Prefab has an ongoing commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.