The Impact Litigation Team uses legal action and advocacy to fight race, sex, LGBTQIA+, and disability discrimination as well as police brutality and official misconduct while defending consumers, free speech, privacy, and more. The Impact Litigation program utilizes the legal system, media, and the clients’ voices to bring about systemic change. The program has a proven track record of high-profile successes that have improved the lives of many low-income individuals and led to systemic improvements in services to low-income individuals.
This position will be involved in all aspects of the Impact Litigation program while providing civil legal representation to low-income individuals in Texas. The incumbent in this position exercises patience in slowly playing out long term strategies to effect change while representing a relatively small number of actual clients.
This attorney in this position is expected to:
Maintain the highest ethical and professional standards as a member of the State Bar; adhere to the American Bar Association Standards for the Provision of Civil Legal Aid; embrace and support Texas Legal Service Center’s (TLSC) overall mission; and comply with all grant requirements, regulations, standards, policies, and confidentiality requirements.
This is a grant funded position.
- Provide high quality legal assistance to eligible clients, including in-depth counseling and advice throughout the course of complex litigation.
- Analyze legal and societal problems and devise savvy strategic plans to eliminate social injustices while often utilizing outside-the-box thinking.
- Execute intake interviews, confirm eligibility for services and check for conflicts of interest according to TLSC policy.
- Write sophisticated complaints, petitions, motions, memos, and briefs on behalf of clients as well as respond to discovery to fully extract information from defendants and prepare for dispositive motions and trial.
- Communicate with third parties, media, and public on behalf of clients to resolve legal problems and to advocate on behalf of clients and the TLSC mission.
- Prepare for, attend, assist, argue, and conduct depositions, hearings, trials, and appeals.
- Perform high-level legal research and factual investigation to provide superior representation to eligible clients.
- Travel to locations outside of Austin, Texas.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- J.D. Degree.
- Licensure in Texas state or federal court within 6 months of hire.
- Current bar license in Texas state and/or federal courts.
- Experience working in at least one of the following areas: Civil Rights, Civil Liberties, Consumer Law, Constitutional Law or Civil Litigation.
- Experience working in a public interest legal setting and working with low-income audiences.
- Experience speaking with the public or media.
Knowledge / Skills (Required)
- Readiness to litigate in at least one of the following areas: Civil Rights, Civil Liberties, Consumer Law, Constitutional Law, or Civil Litigation.
- Current knowledge and expertise of the law and legal system, especially in areas that impact low-income individuals.
- Excellent legal research and advocacy skills.
- Strong analytical and attention to detail skills.
- Exceptional listening, written and oral communications skills.
- Proficiency with Adobe, social media tools, and Microsoft Office products.
- Proficiency with or ability to learn LegalServer (TLSC’s case management system).
- Understanding of grant requirements and associated reporting needs.
- Ability to communicate with high proficiency in Spanish.
- Ability to learn new technologies to carry out job functions.
- Ability to work with clients in a patient, trauma-informed, and non-judgmental manner.
- Ability to travel to out-of-town locations.
- Bilingual in oral and written Spanish.
- Familiarity with civil discovery.
- Sedentary work that involves sitting most of the time.
- Occasional bending, squatting, and kneeling.
- Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and a negligible amount of force as needed, at times to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
*This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.