This full-time position provides administrative, interdepartmental and clerical support to the CSO Music Director and the Artistic Planning team of the CSO and Pops. The Assistant ensures the Music Director is able to maintain an organizational presence and institutional awareness even when he/she is out of town, and bolsters the effectiveness, impact and focus of their work while present in Cincinnati. Additionally, this position provides key departmental support including guest artist travel, logistics and visa administration, departmental scheduling, contract and invoice administration as well as concert and special event-related tasks as requested. In tandem with responsibility for handling of confidential information from multiple sources, the Assistant is an essential participant in creating and maintaining a welcoming, inclusive, efficient and professional environment in support of artistic excellence and institutional goals.
- Manage and prepare Music Director’s CSO calendar, liaising with the President and CEO, COO, VP of Artistic Planning and additional staff.
- Coordinate philanthropy, communications, marketing and education/community engagement requests with appropriate staff.
- Manage all CSO-related correspondence on behalf of the Music Director.
- Review and coordinate marketing, program and other materials and communications to ensure accuracy, and draft donor and additional communications on behalf of the Music Director.
- Assimilate and communicate production, personnel and artist-related needs on behalf of the Artistic Department and Music Director.
- Arrange CSO business travel and transportation for the Music Director.
- Coordinate and manage communication with Music Director’s representatives and other parties in relation to travel and information requests.
- Complete tasks, including but not limited to: concert wardrobe dry cleaning, meal runs, grocery and supply shopping, expense tracking and office organization.
- Provide support for backstage operations and guest artist needs as required.
- Provide or coordinate local transportation for Music Director and guest artists as needed, utilizing the company vehicle and transportation services.
- Coordinate concert and event tickets.
- Prepare and manage artist visa petitions as required for Music Director and foreign guest artists, keeping up to date with changes in government policies and procedures.
- Provide additional support to CSO & Pops Assistant/Associate Conductor(s) by providing schedule and rehearsal related information and updates on programmatic and other changes.
- Support CSO & Pops artistic planning efforts through meeting coordination, agenda facilitation, creation of presentation materials, research and note-taking as requested.
- Serve as a primary internal resource for concert program and web content information related to CSO & Pops programs. Review all materials to ensure accuracy and compliance with artist contracts and requests, and gather input when necessary.
- Participate in special project and event-related efforts as assigned.
- Support and actively participate in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) efforts as outlined in the CSO’s strategic plan.
- Other duties as assigned
Success in the position requires excellence in the following areas:
- Interpersonal skills with demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy, particularly in sensitive and confidential situations.
- Acute curiosity with the desire and ability to learn from colleagues and other resources through proactive inquiry.
- Ability to productively and efficiently communicate and interact with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Precision, efficiency and clarity in all work deliverables and communications.
- Constant attention to detail in composing and proofing materials, establishing priorities and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment with demonstrated understanding of prioritization and the ability to execute on competing tasks and demands.
- Excellent time management skills, punctuality, and an ability to foresee and prepare for future needs.
Assistant, Artistic Planning & Music Director reports to the Vice President of Artistic Planning.
- Career-minded individual, with related experience and a passion for the performing arts.
- A Bachelor’s and/or Master’s Degree related to the fields of performing arts, non-profit administration, music, art history, contemporary arts, business and communications or other related studies.
- A minimum of two years of experience in a related field as an administrative, departmental or executive assistant and/or a demonstrated history of success as an administrative professional in a related field.
- Knowledge of a variety of computer software applications for scheduling, communication, word processing, database management, presentations and accounting.
- A flexible schedule with availability on nights and weekends, particularly during Music Director’s CSO conducting weeks and administrative periods.
- Preferred but nonessential qualifications include knowledge of instrumental/orchestral repertoire, prior experience in music, the ability to read music, facility with multiple languages and prior foreign travel.
Compensation: $41,500 - $46,500 Annual
A Commitment to Inclusion: The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra’s commitment to inclusion is fundamental to who we are as an organization. Reflecting our community and the world around at every level – on stage, behind-the-scenes, and in neighborhoods throughout the region — is essential to the CSO’s present and future and makes us a stronger ensemble and institution. We encourage underrepresented candidates to apply.