The Nurse performs all duties to ensure the health and safety of people receiving supports at Providence Center by providing quality care to adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities, performing administrative functions and instruction and education to all employees.
Salary: $34.00 per hour
Job Type: Full-time (32 hour per week)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Administering Quality Care
· Conduct the initial physical assessment on all new people as necessary
· Conducts physical assessments on all people with ADL needs/transfers between services with a change in delegating nurse/post hospitalizations (admissions) and as needed with major changes in health status
· Initiate nursing care plans/plans of care on people and teach as necessary
· Conduct 45 day physical assessment on people as necessary
· Update nursing care plan every 45 days or as assessment is done
· Provide care as indicated by diagnosis, or training and delegate to PCI employee when appropriate
· Conduct physical assessments of all people who appear to be ill or injured; provide first aid as needed
· Respond to medical emergencies, and provide first aid if needed
· Administer medications to people if necessary
· Monitor the health status of people
· Coordinate with nutritionist, OT, PT and Speech Therapist regarding concerns of people receiving supports
· Assist employees with individual care on an as needed basis; train as needed
· Provide those procedures which cannot be delegated to PCI employees.
· Conduct G-tube feedings, colostomy care, etc. as needed
· Check for underlying health issues with people when abnormal behavior occurs.
· Collaborate with necessary people regarding any person’s health or safety issue.
· Implement all regulations directed by COMAR, DDA and Maryland Nurse Practice Act.
· Implement and maintain ADL trainings and reviews as necessary
Performing Administrative Functions
· Review lab reports, office consultation, and behavior management plans related to peoples physical or mental health for all people to whom care is delegated
· Ensure Physician Medication orders are correct and current
· Document any person’s health issues requiring nurses’ input
· Ensure that seizure records on 45 day delegated people are complete and current
· Review medical administration record and all other health progress notes by non-licensed staff.
· Ensure that all medications are kept in appropriate locked boxes
· Record progress notes on any person requiring nursing care
· As a team member, attend PCP’s as needed, DDA quarterly nursing meeting and in-services
· Collaborate with Lead Nurse on problematic issues relating to nursing
· Serve as a team member on PCI committee as delegated by Director of Programs
· Assist in writing health policies and procedures
· Order medical supplies/products needed to care for people
· Keep current on nursing issues with continuing education courses
· Fill in at the other DDA programs as needed.
Instruction and Education of All Employees
· Keep staff informed of peoples’ general health requirements
· Supervise CMT staff in the administration of medications and delegated tasks
· Act as the Delegating Nurse for non-licensed employees passing medications to people
· Provide employees with required training and education in such areas as blood borne pathogens, disease control, ADLs, safety, etc.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the education, knowledge, skills and/or abilities required.
· Must have a current Registered Nursing License in the State of Maryland
· Previous experience in the nursing field as well as experience working with adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities is preferred
· Reliable transportation for frequent travel between work sites.
· Must be willing to commit to Providence Center and the people we support.
· Communicates and supports Providence Center’s mission and values, inspiring pride in the organization
· Complies with Providence Center policies, procedures, regulations, and operations
· Identifies ways that plans, policies, procedures, or actions can be modified to improve/strengthen organizational performance
· Participates in company functions
· Demonstrates cooperation and teamwork in accomplishing results
· Actively seeks and acts on ways to improve team effectiveness
· Shows personal integrity in dealing with others
· Inspires trust through own actions
· Values the diverse talents, skills, and experience of individual team members
· Values, respects and is open to the point of view of others
· Listens with curiosity, seeking to understand others
· Empathic Understanding-provide care to individuals as we would like to be cared for
· Talks directly to an individual when there is a concern or problem, avoids triangular communication
· Upholds clients rights, maintains confidentiality about clients, etc.
· Reports any allegations of abuse
· Follows safety policies and reports any incidents viewed as unsafe to supervisor in a timely manner
· Attends all scheduled in-service trainings, outside trainings and other meetings
· Presents a positive, flexible demeanor and offers help whenever needed
· Show imitative by attempting to resolve problems as they arise
· Follow PCI handbook
· To perform this job successfully, an individual should have basic computer skills.
Benefits for Full-Time Employees (30 to 40 hours per week)
Medical (company contribution 65%-95% toward cost of coverage; plans starting as low as $18 monthly!)
Dental (company contribution 40%-43% toward cost of plans)
Vision (company contribution 32% towards cost of all plans)
Short Term Disability
Long Term Disability (company paid)
Term life insurance and AD&D up to 10k (company paid)
Optional Life and AD&D plans
401k (5% company match)
Paid Time Off
Inclement Weather Pay
Flexible Spending Account