This position is located in Evanston, Illinois
As part of YWCA Evanston/North Shore’s domestic violence team, the Children’s Group Worker provides daily group activities for children of the Domestic Violence Program of YWCA Evanston/North Shore and supervises children while parents are engaged in program activities.
- Collaborates with Children's Program Coordinator regarding daily group activities for children based on age (1- 14) and volunteer and staff availability.
- Provides childcare to community and shelter clients.
- Reports observation of unusual behavior to the Children’s Program Coordinator.
- Assists with preparation and clean-up during holidays and after daily group activities.
- Maintains program space, keeps play areas and supplies organized, and replaces damaged toys as needed.
- Provides oversight to the activities of volunteers working with the children.
- Maintains log of new children coming to the program and provides welcoming gifts upon their arrival.
- Provides documentation of services in a timely fashion.
- Provides feedback and positive communication to the mothers about their children’s activities.
- Maintains child care signup sheet.
- Develops and conducts in-service training as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management.
- Understands and adheres to all of YWCA Evanston/North Shore procedures and policies as well as YWCA Employee Handbook.
Education: High school diploma/GED required. Relevant college level coursework preferred.
Experience and/or Training: A minimum of one year working with children.
Skills: Must be responsible, caring and empathetic. Spanish speaking is a plus
Licenses/Certificates: Must be willing to attend the 40-hour domestic violence training.
Mental, Physical Demands and Environment:
- Occasional evenings required for accommodating participant schedules and program activities
- Ability to operate controls for audio/video equipment and computers.
- Must be able to move about the facility and climb multiple flights of stairs
- Must occasionally lift, push, and pull up to 35lbs.
- Must be able to wash and clean art therapy supplies
- Office environment, children’s play area, and therapeutic play/art space
- Employee may be required to share office space
The mental and physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.