At Skills of Central PA, Human Resources (HR) is focused on understanding what our employees need and knowing how to provide it. We are in search of a qualified and resourceful Human Resources Benefits Administrator to support our HR Department in ensuring smooth and efficient business operations. The perfect candidate will have the “right” combination of compassion, desire to help others and drive to work in a collaborative team environment, focused primarily on employee welfare benefits administration.
The HR Benefits Administrator position is full-time and will be located at the Corporate Office in State College, PA, working primarily Monday through Friday 8am-4pm, with some flexibility required. This position reports directly to the Senior Director of Human Resources. Skills of Central PA is a premier health and human services organization. At Skills, we strive to help people living with behavioral health, intellectual or developmental challenges to overcome adversity, promote choice, encourage recovery, and give support when the people we work with need it the most - and this starts with hiring the right HR professionals.
POSITION PURPOSE AND GENERAL SUMMARY
Assists the Senior Director of Human Resources to develop all benefits programs. Responsible for implementation, administration, and maintenance of benefits programs, policies, and procedures to include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, flexible spending account programs, health savings account program, 401(k) and 403(b) retirement plans and others as applicable. Ensures programs meet employee needs, comply with legal requirements, and are cost effective. Develops benefits communications and counsels employees on benefits related issues. Evaluates existing benefits programs against peer organizations to determine competitiveness, trends and developments.
BENEFITS ADMINISTRATOR ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Recommends benefits programs to management by studying employee requirements and trends and developments in benefits offered by other organizations; identifies benefit options by studying plan designs and obtaining advice from brokers, etc.
- Facilitates contacts with employees, brokers, and insurance vendors to investigate and resolve claims and coverage issues; establishes and maintains working relationships with brokers and benefit vendors.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; obtaining qualified opinions; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Prepares census data for use by brokers/insurers in preparation for annual benefits renewal negotiations in order to obtain accurate quotes.
- Participates in the benefits renewal negotiation process with prospective insurers and provides input and suggestion on coverage alternatives, vendors, etc.
- Initiates new-hire benefits, processes enrollment and termination of employee and dependent’s benefit coverages according to established procedures, deadlines and regulations.
- Processes status changes and applicable benefit packets to ensure the employee receives enrollment materials on the benefits available to them in a timely manner.
- Coordinates and participates in the annual open enrollment process with employees to include: preparing written materials, attending the employee meetings, coordinating benefit elections, and verifying and administering employee coverage choices with respective insurance companies and in the HRIS.
- Inputs employee benefits data and payroll deduction costs into the HRIS according to established procedures and deadlines.
- Responsible for maintenance of the electronic benefits administration system and assistance of employees with electronic enrollment and communication.
- Ensures new hire reports are imported into electronic benefits administration system, welcome emails are generated and benefits offered; exports monthly new hire enrollments from benefits administration system into HRIS and enters deductions into HRIS for payroll processing in a timely manner; processes missed and/or over deductions.
- Processes employee status changes and qualifying events relative to benefit eligibility and initiates the COBRA notices process as applicable.
- Processes employee terminations in the HRIS and electronic benefits administration system to include insurance carriers; initiates the COBRA notices process as applicable.
- Resolves employee questions and problems by interpreting benefits policies and procedures.
- Reconciles benefits accounts by reviewing billing statements; processes monthly benefit invoices for payment; verifies billing accuracy for correct charges based on employee/dependent coverage elections and employment eligibility status.
- Ensures accuracy and maintenance of data, including the look-back period for hours worked, for Affordable Care Act (ACA) reporting; Prepares and files 1095/1094 ACA reports/forms; ensures timely offers for medical coverage to eligible employees as applicable under the ACA.
- Prepares and files forms 5500 for all employee welfare benefits ensuring ERISA compliance and meeting deadlines.
- Coordinates the Flexible Spending Account plans and Health Savings Account plan annually with the Plan Administrator, and performs data entry according to employee elections; Annual renewal of plan. Also coordinates the closing of the Flexible Spending Account plans and the Health Savings Account plan at the end each plan year.
- Creates the contribution reports and electronically transmits employee contributions for Flexible Spending Account plans and Health Savings Account plan each pay period to the Plan Administrator.
- Processes employee life insurance claims.
- Prepares and submits weekly reports to appropriate carrier(s) for portability and conversion options associated with basic life/AD&D and voluntary life insurance.
- Leads the organization’s Wellness Initiatives; Serves as the lead on the Wellness Committee.
- Responsible for the daily plan management and administration of the 401(k) and 457(b) retirement plans; Ensures compliance with all ERISA, DOL and IRS regulations and legal requirements related to the 401(k) and 457(b) Plans.
- Coordinates and participates in the annual 401(k) annual educational meetings to include: preparing written materials, attending the employee meetings, and processing 401(k) elections with the carrier and in the HR Data System.
- Coordinates quarterly enrollment for the 401(k) Plan to include: Determining employee eligibility, sending letters and enrollment materials to eligible employees, and processing enrollments with the plan record keeper/provider and in the HRIS.
- Creates contribution reports and verifies accuracy of reports; Electronically transmits employer and employee 401(k) retirement plan contributions and 457(b) employee retirement plan contributions each pay period to the plan record keeper.
- Coordinates the annual 401(k) plan compliance testing for non-discrimination purposes.
- Coordinates and acts as the point of contact for the annual 401(k) Plan audit.
- Coordinates preparation and filing of the Form 5500 for the 401(k) retirement plan.
- Verifies the annual 401(k) forfeiture report and discretionary allocation report to ensure eligible employees are listed to receive forfeited and discretionary monies and ineligible employees are removed from the reports;
- Coordinates QNEC (Qualified Non-Elective Employer contribution) and QDRO (Qualified Domestic Relations Order), when applicable.
- In conjunction with the Plan Provider, prepares, maintains and distributes the Summary Plan Description (SPD), Summary Annual Report (SAR), Summary of Material Modification (SMM), and any and all other disclosures and notices required by regulatory bodies.
- Coordinates the 401(k) plan administration including Hardship Withdrawal requests, distributions/in-service withdrawals; helps the employees understand their retirement plan in order for them to manage their plan appropriately.
- Prepares special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Administers the company Tuition Reimbursement program.
- Maintains the company “Benefit Forms Information Page” on SharePoint.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; and participating in professional societies.
- Regular and consistent attendance is required in the workplace to perform the essential duties of this position.
1. Performs job assignments with attention to, and in compliance with, the Skills mission, values, and ethics, and with a positive attitude; cooperates with others inside and outside the organization.
2. Communicates in an appropriate and professional manner with others inside and outside the organization; maintains a high level of dependability to include attendance at work and punctuality.
3. Keeps sensitive information relative to the organization, employees, and/or the people we support confidential and adheres to the provisions of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
4. Completes mandatory orientation program and annual training programs; completes applicable attendance documentation; shares newly acquired information with fellow employees; attends and participates in applicable meetings, committees, and/or ad hoc work groups.
5. Performs assignments in accordance with the organization’s safety and health program; reports safety/health hazards or violations of safety/health policies to assigned supervisor.
6. Uses, maintains, and safeguards equipment, supplies, financial resources, etc. in an appropriate manner and in the best interest of the organization; reports needed equipment repairs.
7. Maintains appropriate professional dress in accordance with company and department
standards and acceptable practices.
8. Must be alert, aware and agile.
9. Performs other similar and related duties as necessary and/or as assigned.
DISCLAIMER –BENEFITS ADMINISTRATOR
This job description is not intended to list all of the duties to be performed. Any employee who has a disability is expected to perform all essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodation. Essential functions are all of those duties listed in this job description with the exception of those considered universal to the organization. All job duties must be performed in accordance with established safety and health procedures.