JOB TITLE: Executive Assistant/Board Liaison
REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer
LOCATION: New York Office – 355 Lexington Avenue, 16th Floor, New York, NY 10017
About Concern Worldwide
Concern Worldwide is an international humanitarian organization committed to the relief, assistance and advancement of the poorest people in the least developed countries of the world. Founded in Ireland in 1968, Concern Worldwide has nearly 4,000 personnel working in 24 countries across the globe. Concern believes in a world where no one lives in fear; where all have access to a decent standard of living and the opportunities essential to a long, healthy and creative life. Our mission is to help people living in absolute poverty achieve major improvements in their lives, improvements that are sustainable without ongoing support from Concern.
Concern envisions a world where no one lives in poverty, fear, or oppression where everyone can exercise their rights to a decent standard of living with equal access to opportunities. We believe in creating a culture of inclusion where everyone feels empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to the workplace. Building a diverse and inclusive team is an absolute necessity to deliver the solutions needed to achieve our core mission, because without promoting justice and equality, we cannot eliminate extreme poverty.
Concern Worldwide US (CUS) is an independent affiliate of Concern Worldwide, with offices in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles. CUS advances the Concern Worldwide mission through mobilizing financial and human resources, as well as influencing and activating networks in the US to elevate programs globally.
Concern Worldwide US is seeking a dynamic professional to be the next Executive Assistant and Board Liaison (EA/BL) to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The EA/BL will utilize their extraordinary judgment, discretion, problem solving skills, and initiative to coordinate and support all administrative activities for a busy CEO. Responsibilities will include but are not limited to serving as the primary internal and external contact on all matters pertaining to the CEO; managing an extremely active calendar; arranging complex travel plans; composing and preparing confidential correspondence for board members, donors and other constituents; completing expense reports; scheduling and planning meetings; and handling a wide variety of other administrative activities. On occasion, the EA will also get involved in supporting other members of the Executive Team with administrative and/or project assistance.
The person must combine creative and critical thinking and be a fast, effective and practical problem solver, embrace working independently, and be willing to tackle projects both large and small. This person must have the judgment and experience to make many administrative decisions quickly and keep things moving in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. The EA/BL must exhibit independent and sound decision making on complex and non-routine matters and be able to prioritize among competing urgent demands and exercise good judgment and common sense in managing unexpected and at times, challenging situations. To succeed in this position, the successful candidate will be exceptionally well spoken and professional, very well organized, positive and optimistic, high energy, and of impeccable integrity.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage the day-to-day activities for the CEO including maintaining an up-to-date calendar in Outlook, keeping track of deadlines, important events, and the CEO’s to-do list. Anticipate potential scheduling conflicts and work with other team members as needed to assess priorities and determine solutions.
- Act in the capacity as the CEO’s gatekeeper and main point of contact to various internal and external constituencies, including screening and prioritizing correspondence and telephone calls; keeping the executive informed of all matters requiring their attention. Determine priorities and time sensitive issues daily for the CEO.
- Assist the CEO in preparing for meetings and appointments with donors, Board Members, staff and external constituents, securing information and supporting materials through research and from other departments. Provide prep packets in advance of all external meetings.
- Arranges all travel (air, ground and hotel) for the CEO which can include complex international and domestic travel. Secures visas, books hotels, coordinates local transportation, and handles other travel-related logistics. Ensures flights and hotels follow all Concern and relevant donor travel policies. Resolve all logistical travel issues, prior to and during travel. While CEO is traveling, EA will be available after hours and on weekends to help resolve any unforeseen travel related issues when needed.
- Organize Executive Team meetings; coordinate and communicate logistics for staff; prepare agenda drafts for the CEO to review and distribute agenda and supporting materials to attendees in a timely manner. Prepare and track a list of key takeaways and action items from each meeting. Book conference rooms and video conferencing services as required.
- Respond to regularly occurring requests for information from CEO’s office.
- Liaise with development team to track and assist with CEO-donor correspondence, especially following key donor meetings and special events; update donor contact information and correspondence information in Salesforce database.
- Create and refine documents and correspondence. Duties may include drafting documents from pre-defined templates; managing documents for signature or approval; and creating and developing visual presentations for the CEO. Responsible for accuracy and clarity of final copy.
- Track and manage the timely submission of expense reimbursements for CEO including copying check requests & sending to Finance for reimbursement, documenting corporate credit card expenses, maintaining receipts and managing the accurate and timely reconciliation of monthly credit card statements.
- Assists with the coordination of meetings, retreats and other events. Duties may include arranging catering, meeting space, and/or tech support; preparing meeting agendas and background information.
- Establishes, develops, maintains and updates filing system for the CEO. Retrieves information from files when needed.
- Coordinate between Concern US, Concern Worldwide IRL and other home offices on all matters involving the CEO.
- Assist Executive Team and other departments with a variety of projects, including research and outreach for campaigns and special events; coordinating collaboration amongst Executive Team when needed.
- Support global meetings and priorities, such as Strategic Planning, by liaising between various home offices, creating clear project timelines for participants, taking meeting minutes, and organizing, compiling, and distributing relevant documents.
- Organize staff and donor gifts on behalf of CEO, Executive Team & Concern US.
Board Support and Liaison:
- Serve as primary administrative point of contact for all board activities including but not limited to--maintaining board calendar and assisting in the planning of board meetings; timely preparation and distribution of all Board meeting agendas and materials; managing Board correspondence, scheduling meetings with CEO and committee members; updating the board directory and Concern letterhead when board members cycle on/off the board; and coordinating and maintaining board committee meeting and minutes.
- Develop and distribute monthly Board newsletter with key dates and relevant information through MailChimp.
- Create clear timelines and guidelines for board reports; Coordinate with key staff to prepare and deliver board notifications and reports.
- Support the CEO and Board Chair in the preparation of a coherent and relevant agenda for quarterly Board and Board Committee meetings.
- Oversee the collection, compilation, preparation and distribution of all background materials for all Board and Committee meetings in a timely and accurate manner.
- Assist CFO in managing and compiling annual board compliance materials to ensure adherence to Board Governance Policies and Procedures.
- Organize the onboarding of new board members; ensure new member materials are consistently maintained and updated with relevant information and documents.
- Manage the upkeep and storage of important Board of Directors documents, including but not limited to: board member policy documents, Concern Worldwide By-Laws, committee lists and charters.
- Schedule and manage the logistics (catering, hotel—as needed, transportation) for Board meetings, Board dinners, and other events as requested.
- Attend quarterly Board meetings to provide onsite support and to take official meeting minutes.
- Track and maintain records of Board and committee meeting frequency and members’ attendance, along with Concern Worldwide US Governance Standards.
- On occasion, arrange travel and itineraries for Board field visits, which may include major donors.
Internal Office Responsibilities:
- EA is the back-up to Concern’s Office Manager and it is the EA’s responsibility to work closely with the Office Manager to ensure the front desk is properly covered at all times.
- Back-up Office Manager daily for lunch and also on as needed basis; respond to incoming calls, route calls to appropriate area of the organization, greet visitors, and communicate general information to callers and visitors.
- Support all divisions with overflow work (e.g. event preparation; event support; meetings).