Summary: This position has operational responsibility for all aspects of payroll operations. The incumbent will act as the internal subject matter expert on all payroll-related items. This position is the link between payroll/HR and other relevant stakeholders, including accounting, payroll vendor, and employees.
Expected Outcomes: A successful incumbent will routinely execute timely, accurate payroll processes with excellent customer service. This position will play an integral role in devising and implementing effective processes that align payroll operations with business objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees payroll system maintenance and operations and acts as company point of contact with payroll vendor.
- Manages routine biweekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting requirements.
- Coordinates timely and accurate processing and distribution of annual tax documents.
- Operates as internal multi-state payroll tax expert.
- Collaborates with accounting department in the transfer and integration of data between HR and accounting.
- Maintains appropriate payroll files in accordance with legal and audit requirements.
- Leads department response to all payroll-related audit inquiries.
- Manages full-cycle time card and payroll processing for more than 450 employees across five EINs in more than 20 states.
- Ensures timely and accurate processing of all payrolls, both routine and one-off.
- Provides internal customer service to all levels as subject matter expert on payroll and related matters.
- Participates in planning compensation administration and advises on best practices.
- Maintains knowledge of and ensures compliance with all applicable laws, including ACA, ERISA, FLSA, state, and local laws.
- Requires at least 5 years’ experience administering all aspects of payroll for a multi-state, multi-EIN employer.
- Payroll certification preferred; must demonstrate intermediate to advanced understanding of payroll setup and processing, payroll tax account management, deduction and garnishment administration, withholding statutes, EIN management, compensation practices, and related accounting practices.
- Paylocity experience preferred. Must possess a strong comfort level working with HR-related technology and systems and third-party sites.
- Requires demonstrated excellence in interpreting and explaining payroll items, tax matters, and related complex information.
- Requires proven experience building, producing, manipulating, and analyzing various payroll and compensation reports using Excel and third-party databases.
- Absolutely must exhibit outstanding skills in communication, organization, follow-up, and follow-through with a strong propensity toward action, customer service, and teamwork.
- Must have experience building relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure effective collaboration, support, and service.
- Must demonstrate strong analytical, problem solving, and project management skills.
- Requires intermediate knowledge of Excel and Outlook.
- Requires working knowledge of applicable wage and hour laws with a demonstrated ability to apply that knowledge to real-world circumstances.
- Must exhibit strong professionalism, ethics, confidentiality, and a high moral standard.
- Must display the ability, through experience, to exercise effective judgment, sensitivity, and creativity to changing needs and situations.
- Requires the ability to think broadly, establish credibility, and collaborate effectively with key stakeholders in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment.
- Requires learning agility, discipline, flexibility, self-start, self-direction, forward-thinking, problem-solving, and the ability to effectively manage multiple competing priorities.
All employees are expected to contribute to the overall success of the organization by performing requested duties regardless of explicit inclusion in the job description or reasonable relation to an employee’s primary role. Additionally, all employees must understand and adhere to all federal and state laws and banking regulations and company policies and procedures applicable to assigned job responsibilities, including compliance as appropriate under the Bank Secrecy Act and Anti-Money Laundering regulations.
Additionally, all employees are expected to demonstrate the following Core Competencies:
Professionalism – acting with responsibility, integrity and accountability; demonstrating consistent trustworthiness and reliability; always remaining flexible, adaptable and willing to accept coaching; building and managing professionally healthy relationships; deliberately managing career decisions; and continually developing awareness of business-related topics.
Communication – understanding various active and passive tools and styles and their effects; and exhibiting appropriate, effective, timely use of tools and styles to connect, collaborate, facilitate teamwork and serve customers.
Work Quality – demonstrating an ongoing commitment to compliance, safety and security; executing work with efficiency, a sense of urgency and attention to detail; and displaying organized work practices and a results-oriented mindset.
Analytical Ability – navigating work-related circumstances with practical, sound reasoning; and demonstrating creativity in problem solving.
Leadership – displaying good judgment and certainty in decision making; taking initiative with job-related demands; demonstrating innovative thinking and sound planning with business practices; managing individual performance toward shared organizational goals; and thinking strategically to set and accomplish goals.
Merchants Bancorp and its affiliates and subsidiaries are committed to being equal opportunity employers. All job candidates and incumbents will be assessed based on only criteria relevant to successfully performing the job as defined in this job description and as generally accepted in the job’s relevant industries.