LPN (Wound Care)
Martins Ferry, OH
The Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) provides direct and indirect patient care services that meet the psychosocial, physical and general aspects of care, meets the communication needs of the patient and family under the supervision of a Registered Nurse. He/she works within the LPN scope of Practice as defined by the Ohio Board of Nursing.
- Works under the supervision of the RN. Evaluates and adjusts the plan of care daily and communicate the plan to the RN.
- Demonstrates empathy and respect for patients by explaining all procedures, providing privacy and allowing patients to express emotional needs.
- Displaying teamwork ability to promote cooperation and collaboration; gaining support for programs and goals.
- Supports Patient Rights
- Displays honesty and respect for others, and respect for the organization as evidenced by:
- Treating internal and external customers as the most important part of the job
- Being sensitive to customer’s emotions, thoughts and feelings
- Refraining from negative comments of any kind where the public or other customers can hear.
- Taking appropriate actions to resolve the concern
- Facilitates and enhances communication as evidenced by:
- Effective and timely processing of customers' requests according to hospital and departmental policies.
- Utilizing verbal communication methods, which enable others to clearly understand what is being said.
- Utilizing verbal and nonverbal behaviors without being defensive, manipulative, aggressive or controlling.
- Using written communication that is legible, timely and at a level based on the position specific requirements.
- Listening attentively to ensure effective two-way communication
- Expressing and accepting feedback in a professional manner
- Answering the telephone with stating department, name and greeting
- Observes dress code policy and wears hospital identification as required by our policies and procedures
- Understands and abides by all departmental policies and procedures as well as the Codes of Ethics, HIPAA requirements and patient rights
- Complies with federal, state, local laws that govern business practices. Complies with all Department of Health Services requirements for CMS, and JCAH standards that apply to the position.
- Attends scheduled in-services. Communicates ideas to supervisor for a safer layout of equipment, tools, and/or processes.
- Follows standard precautions and transmission-based precautions as shown by consistent use of appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Adheres to procedures for the disposal of waste – household waste and biohazard waste as well as the proper disposal of sharps.
- Uses proper body mechanics at all times. Seeks assistance when necessary to move heavy objects or to transport/transfer a heavy patient.
- Is familiar with emergency codes and emergency preparedness procedures and understands his/her role in response to each of the emergency codes (Code Blue, Code Pink, Code Green, Code Adam, Code Yellow, Code Gray, Code Silver, Code Red, Code Violet, etc.)
- Maintains the department in a neat, clean, and orderly manner, especially in own work area.
- Eliminates or assists in eliminating any seen or known hazards in the workplace. Reports any unsafe conditions to his or her immediate supervisor.
- Demonstrates good safety habits and judgment by maintaining a safe environment at all times.
- Understands and participates in the continuous quality improvement process and applies it in performing everyday tasks/duties by assisting in finding new and better ways of performing duties and responsibilities.
- Discharges patients as directed by RN or provider.
Education and Experience:
- Graduate from an Accredited School of Practical Nursing
- Must have a current and valid license as a Licensed Practical Nurse issued by the State of Ohio
- Minimum one-year experience in a Wound Care setting preferred
- BLS required upon hire and maintain current
- ACLS and PALS required within 6 months of hire and maintain current
- Graduate from OBN approved pharmacology course
- Strong computer skills/EMR
- Must be able to handle stress of working efficiently with frequent interruptions and distractions
- Must be highly motivated and willing to work additional jobs and duties as needed
- Must be able to prioritize tasks
- Use of telephones, fax/copy machines, telephones
- Frequent Sitting, standing and walking
- Occasionally reaching, bending, pulling, pushing, twisting and squatting
- Occasional hand and wrist deviation
- Occasionally lift/carry up to 50 pounds
- Occasionally be exposed to hazardous chemicals or infections and Ionizing radiation
- Occasionally required to wear Personal Protective Equipment