Job Summary: The Patient Service Representative provides initial contact with patients and other visitors entering the physician's office. The Patient Service Representative is responsible for providing excellent customer service to patients, physicians and all other office staff personnel. The Patient Service Representative is to help maintain an organized office and complete various clerical tasks in a professional and timely manner.
Education and Experience:
- High school graduate or equivalency required.
- A minimum of one year of professional office, customer service, or patient care experience and/or successful completion of an office professional program that included an internship.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Greeting and directing patients to examination rooms.
- Scheduling patient appointments and making reminder calls.
- Informing patients about delays and waiting times.
- Obtaining patients’ addresses, contact details, insurance information, and medical histories.
- Updating and verifying patient information at every visit.
- Assisting patients in filling out patient history forms, consent forms, and payment contract forms, when necessary.
- Receiving and processing cash and credit card payments for medical services rendered.
- Reviewing patient accounts, identifying delinquent accounts, and collecting overdue payments.
- Answering, investigating, and/or directing patient inquiries or complaints to the appropriate medical staff member.
- Following up with patients to ensure their inquiry or complaint has been satisfactorily resolved.
- Performing administrative and clerical duties, such as filing paperwork, when necessary.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Strong computer skills to include Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and database products.
- Must be highly motivated and willing to assume additional jobs and duties as needed.
- Must be able to handle stress of working efficiently with frequent interruptions and distractions.
- Must be able to prioritize tasks and adhere to strict deadlines.
- Ability to read, write and explain information to patients and/or family members.
- Must demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills, proper judgement, and appropriate employee/patient relations.
- Ability to provide customer service in a warm and friendly manner.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Must be able to function independently.