Job Title – Manager, Recycling Vendor Sourcing
Level – Mid – Senior Level
Position Type – Full Time
Job Location – TerraCycle - Trenton, NJ
TerraCycle’s mission is to Eliminate the idea of Waste®.
Headquartered in Trenton, N.J. and operating in over 21 countries across the Americas, Europe and Asia Pacific, TerraCycle is a global innovator in recycling and reuse. It partners with many of the world’s largest consumer product companies and retailers to create collection and recycling solutions for hundreds of traditionally non-recyclable waste streams. By working with companies, retailers, governments and consumers, TerraCycle is able to collect and solve for just about every waste stream, from snack wrappers and contact lenses to ocean plastics and cigarette butts, all waste streams that otherwise end up in landfills, oceans, or incinerators. TerraCycle has received hundreds of awards globally, and has been highlighted in some of the world's most recognized media outlets, including CNN, Wall St. Journal, Reuters.com New York Times, Forbes and thousands of others.
In 2019, TerraCycle launched Loop, a global reuse system that enables brands, retailers and consumers to transition from single-use disposable materials to reusable, durable packaging. Loop has engaged many of the world's largest consumer product companies (including P&G, Nestlé, Unilever, PepsiCo, Coca-Cola, and Mondelez) and many of the world’s largest retailers in this platform. Loop is available in the U.S, France, Canada, Japan, the UK and will be in Australia early next year.
This job is based out of TerraCycle’s global headquarters in Trenton, NJ. The “Manager, Recycling Vendor Sourcing,” is on the Materials Recycling Solutions team and reports to Michael Napoli with a dotted line to Steven Dege. This is an important role that involves constant material movement and processing in order to alleviate bottlenecks at our warehouses/storage facilities. This position is very hands-on with TerraCycle’s internal Operations Department and warehouse staff to ensure that materials are being inventoried, staged, sorted, and moved downstream appropriately. Because of this, excellent logistics and supply chain knowledge is critical. Some of the role involves managing the conversion of material into a new format before sale, while other parts of this role require basic brokering of materials on an “as is” basis to a suitable end user. The Materials team works closely with TerraCycle’s R&D team to develop recycling solutions for the wide range of waste we collect. Because of TerraCycle’s unique business model and the fact that we work with various No. 7-type plastics, this job will require learning about the atypical, non-commodity grade materials that we collect and teaching our prospective clients about them as we go.
The successful candidate should be able to design and implement tactics to keep material moving back out the door in an orderly fashion that fulfills TerraCycle’s recycling promise. This person should have excellent vendor management skills and maintain a deep understanding of the economics associated with each waste stream or supply chain. He or she must be able to communicate, negotiate, and manage time effectively in order to maintain the expected profit margins of TerraCycle’s many programs. He or she should have intermediate polymer knowledge and be willing to learn how to determine material composition at times. While training will be provided, this role will call for a proactive person who can work independently and adapt to a fast-paced, high-volume work environment.
- Identify and on-board processing/recycling subcontractors who can convert our collected material from one format to another. Processing may include steps such as shredding, grinding, mechanical sorting (optical, NIR, sink/float, air density, etc.), washing, drying, extruding, compounding, etc.
- Identify and on-board end-users and customers for the materials that TerraCycle collects. This can be after materials are converted to a new format, or on an “as is” basis.
- Develop and manage closed-loop recycling programs for active TerraCycle customers who want to use their own recycled material back in their supply chain.
- Personally help to develop and manage the skill set of any direct reports, which may include junior-level Material Solutions associates.
- Work closely with Operations Team and Warehouse Staff to keep warehouse items consolidated together with “like” materials so that they can be moved downstream more easily.
- Maintain a system to identify key factors around each waste stream that TerraCycle collects. This should include accepted waste, actual breadth of waste coming in, sub-categories during manual sortation, vendors and/or customers that are used for that waste stream, accrual rate, etc.
- Communicate with internal teams to update them on the progress of the material solutions related to their brand accounts. This is primarily for the Brand Partnerships and Zero-Waste Box divisions.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Firm understanding of plastics/polymers and the finished product applications that they can go into.
- Firm understanding of plastic recycling equipment, emerging technologies, and vendors in the industry.
- Firm understanding of supply chain & logistics.
- Minimum 3-5 years of vendor management experience, preferably in the plastic, waste management, or recycling sector.
- Project management experience (and/or certifications) is a plus.
- Excellent organizational skills, with strong e-mail and file management.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Salaried position with annual incentive
- Generous paid time off
- Company subsidized medical and insurance plan
- Company matched 401(k) contributions
TerraCycle requires all employees to provide proof that they have been fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, or have a valid religious or medical reason for being exempt.
TerraCycle is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to Diversity, Equality and Inclusion.
Note: International candidates must be eligible to work in their country of employment. At this time TerraCycle does not provide for visa sponsorships.
Job description is not all inclusive. TerraCycle reserves the right to amend this job description at any time.