Position: Communications Intern
Salary Range: $15 per hour
Business Unit: Executive
Reports To: Outreach & Communication Manager
Posted: August 17- 31, 2021
Funding Status: 100% Admin
About Philadelphia Works, Inc.
Philadelphia Works, Inc is the City’s Workforce Development Board. We are a quasi-public, non-profit organization serving both career seekers and employers. We invest public resources in a variety of workforce solutions. These solutions connect Philadelphia residents with employment and training opportunities and help employers find, grow, and retain local talent. For more information about our dedicated board members and staff, workforce news, labor market data, services and innovative initiatives, visit www.philaworks.org.
Philadelphia Works, Inc. (PhilaWorks) seeks a dynamic, self-starter to assist its Communications team with a variety of internal and external communication efforts. This internship is an excellent opportunity to operate as a communications professional within a mid-size nonprofit organization, while gaining valuable skills to progress the impact of a mission and vision serving a large and complex public workforce system.
This maybe a hybrid role, where the intern will work a few days in the office and remote on a weekly basis; the hybrid schedule will be discussed and finalized with the manager.
This is a 2 (8 months) semester long internship.
Effective January 3, 2022, Philadelphia Works requires all employees to be vaccinated with an FDA authorized and/or approved COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment.
This position will be responsible for the following duties:
· Assist in planning PhilaWorks’ internal newsletter.
· Assist in setting up an internal communications SharePoint site, organizing content, graphics, and other outreach collateral for quick access (e.g., logos, photos, boilerplate text, style guides, templates, checklists, publication archives, guidelines, etc.)
· Research and audit the continuity of PhilaWorks’ online/digital presence.
· Support at least one major upcoming outreach projects/campaigns and/or virtual events for various PhilaWorks teams including, but not limited to our LMS (PHL Career Portal), business engagement, and/or workforce operations. This work will include video and graphic production along with strategic planning and some administrative support services.
Recent graduate, currently enrolled and attending a full-time undergraduate degree or having completed sophomore year in a four-year college/university. Applicant may be enrolled in any course of study with a minimum of 2.5 GPA.
Or, any combination of education and experience determined to be acceptable.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
· Working toward a college degree, preferably in one of the following fields: Digital Marketing, English, Communications, Journalism, or Public Relations
· Previous internship or related work experience in communications and/or a strong desire to go into the Communications, Marketing, Advertising, and/or Digital Marketing field.
· Must have intermediate – expert level experience using MS Office applications including, but not limited to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). Typing skills preferred (50+ WPM).
· Proficient in Adobe InDesign and Photoshop highly desired. Knowledge of HTML and graphic design a plus
· An effective communicator, proofreader, with strong written and oral communication skills
· Ability to communicate in a professional manner
· Self-motivated, good organizational skills, detail-oriented, ability to prioritize, multi-task, and meet deadlines
· Enthusiasm for nonprofit, mission-driven work
Equal Opportunity Employer
Philadelphia Works is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, transgender status, and gender identity), gender, creed, age, national origin, ancestry, familial status, religion, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual preference, political affiliation, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws, in all matters pertaining to recruitment, selection, compensation, training, advancement and promotion, retention, discipline, and termination.