Position Title: Mental Health Therapist
Program: New Leaf Recovery Center - Central
Classification: Non-exempt, Full Time
Salary: $20.00 - $22.00 per hour; Commensurate with Experience
Summary and Range of Authority: Under the direction of the Program Lead Clinician, Mental Health Clinician is responsible for providing psychotherapeutic treatment including but not limited to individual, family, and group therapy, and linkage and support to the program clients. UPAC New Leaf Recovery Center (NLRC) is to provide evidence-based and integrated outpatient treatment services for adults who suffer from serious mental health and co-occurring substance abuse conditions
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides individual and group therapy
- Conducts regular mental health screenings and behavioral health assessments
- Provides case management, family education/support and crisis intervention activities as needed
- Assists clients in obtaining vocational, educational and/or housing objectives as needed
- Functions as a member of a multi-disciplinary team and participates in diagnosis, treatment and discharge planning
- Conducts community services and outreach activities
- Prepares medical records of all services rendered including psychiatric history, mental status examinations and progress notes, treatment plans, quality assurance forms, etc. through Cerner EHR as required by County of San Diego BHS.
- Receives referrals from providers and community members with appropriate follow-up including crisis intervention
- Provide accurate and timely documentation of required reports, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
Required Education, Certifications/Licenses and Language/Cultural Skills:
- Master’s degree in social work, psychology, counseling or human behavior from accredited college or university with major work in clinical therapy
- Must be licensed in the State of California as a behavioral health professional, or
- Must be registered with Board of Behavioral Sciences or Board of Psychology
Minimum Experience and Qualifications Required:
- Two years clinical experience in a mental health setting, with solid clinical skills in individual therapy, assessments, crisis intervention, and case management.
- Minimum one year experience in a county funded mental health services.
- If recovering, must be clean and sober and stable in the recovery process for at least 2 years.
- Experience working with an EHR, preferably Cerner.
- Knowledge of theory and practice of psychotherapy, as well as principles and practice of community mental health.
- Understanding of cultural competency in the delivery of mental health services.
- Understanding of and commitment to the psychosocial rehabilitation model of psychiatric rehabilitation services, and a strong belief in empowering clients/consumers towards recovery.
- Trained and experienced in diagnosing clients utilizing the DSM-5.
- Familiarity with community resources and the delivery of case management services.
- Ability to establish and maintain psychotherapeutic relationships with clear understanding of ethical and professional standards
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and successfully bring them to fruition
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality with regard to client information and other sensitive or proprietary information or materials.
- Ability to prepare written reports and records of services rendered.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, with ability to communicate mental health principles to clients, families and providers.
- Ability to work independently and also collaborate as a member of an interdisciplinary team
- Effective interpersonal skills in order to interact effectively with all levels of program personnel
- Organization and prioritization skills
- Analytical skills
- Proficiency in program designated telehealth platforms.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to prepare written reports accurately and records of services rendered in a timely fashion
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and able to manage a large caseload.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Must have flexibility to work some evening and weekend hours during scheduled client activities.Must have certified First Aid and CPR training (including infant CPR).
- Must demonstrate intermediate level of computer literacy and experience using office productivity software i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Internet browsers, and Outlook.
- Must pass background check (Live Scan Fingerprint).
- Must pass drug test (results shall be negative for all illegal drug use including marijuana).
- COVID-19 Vaccination required, unless exempted as a reasonable accommodation as allowed by the law.
- Must have TB clearance.
- Must be able to drive for business purposes to other program locations in San Diego County.
- Must have a valid California driver’s license and comprehensive automobile insurance coverage, as required by law.
- Will not be debarred or excluded from participation in Federal programs by the General Services Administration and/or the Department of Health and Human Services of the Inspector General.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Spends approximately 70% of work time sitting and meeting with others or working at a desk and/or computer. Spends approximately 30% of work time standing or walking within the work area or outside the office at meetings and events, also bends, twists, stoops and reaches. Ability to communicate in writing and verbally. Regularly required to sit, bend, talk and hear. Frequently is required to use hands to touch, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. Occasionally lifts and/or moves up to 25 pounds. Working conditions are normal for an office environment and event venues. The noise level is usually moderate.