YWCA Hartford Region is dedicated to eliminating racism, empowering women and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all. When joining YWCA Hartford Region you become part of a diverse organization dedicated to our belief that every woman, every girl and every child deserves the opportunity to shine at each stage of life.
Position Title: Director of Marketing/Communications
Reports To: Chief Development Officer
Job Summary: Responsible for planning, development, and implementation of all marketing strategies, marketing communications (marcomm), and public relations activities, both external and internal. Focuses on both the YWCA’s clients and donors, understanding the distinction between the two principal audiences of the organization. Coordinates at the strategic and tactical levels with the other functions of YWCA.
Primary Relationships: The position reports to the Chief Development Officer. Within the organization, the position has primary working relationships with the senior management team, development staff, and program staff. Outside the organization, the position coordinates, primarily, with the media and marcomm service providers, e.g., graphic designers, and so forth.
Marketing, communications and public relations
1. Responsible for creating, implementing, and measuring the success of:
• comprehensive marketing, communications and public relations program that acquires, and when appropriate, retains clients; acquires and retains donors; and, enhances YWCA’s image and position within the marketplace;
• all marketing, communications and public relations activities and materials including publications, media relations, social media, and website.
2. Ensures articulation of YWCA’s desired image and position; assures consistent communication of image and position throughout the organization; and, assures communication of image and position to all constituencies, both internal and external.
3. Responsible for editorial direction, design, production, and distribution of all print and electronic publications.
4. Acts as YWCA’s representative with the media. Coordinates media interest and ensures regular contact with target media and appropriate response to media requests.
5. Coordinates the appearance of all YWCA print and electronic materials such as letterhead, use of logo, brochures, social media, etc.
6. Develops, coordinates, and oversees programs, technical assistance and resource materials to assist departments in the marketing, communications and positioning of their activities.
7. Provides counsel to other staff on marketing, communications and public relations.
8. Ensures that YWCA regularly conducts relevant market research and coordinates and oversees this activity. Monitors trends.
9. Works with the Chief Development Officer, Chief Executive Officer, and other leadership to position the YWCA within the marketplace.
10. Leads projects as assigned, such as cause-related marketing and special events.
Planning, managing, and budgeting
1. Responsible for the achievement of marketing/communications/public relations mission, goals and financial objectives. Ensures that evaluation systems are in place related to these goals and objectives and report progress.
2. Develops short- and long-term plans and budgets for the marketing/communications/ public relations program and its activities, monitors progress, assures adherence and partners with the chief development officer to evaluate performance.
3. Develops, implements, and monitors systems and procedures necessary to the smooth operation of the marketing/communications/public relations function.
4. Supports a climate that attracts, retains, and motivates top quality personnel.
5. Keeps informed of developments in the fields of marketing, communications and public relations, nonprofit management and governance, and fundraising – and uses this information to help YWCA operate with initiative and innovation.
Special note: This is customer-centered sales and donor-centered marketing/communications as defined and practiced by international experts in the nonprofit sector worldwide.
• Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing, communications, and public relations activities.
• Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organizational, and personal sales skills.
• Demonstrated successful experience writing press releases, making presentations and negotiating with media.
• Experience overseeing design and production of print and electronic materials.
• Experience developing and managing budgets, and hiring, training, developing, supervising, and appraising personnel.
• Computer and Internet literacy in word processing, data base management, social media, website, and page layout.
• Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams.
• Strong oral and written communications skills.
• Ability to manage multiple projects at a time.
• Minimum of 5 years experience in marketing, communications or public relations with demonstrated success, preferably in the not-for-profit or association sector.
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, marketing, public relations preferred. Graduate degree in a related field is desirable.
• Experience working with volunteers is desirable.
• Membership in a relevant professional association. Appropriate certification is desirable.