The Aviation Project Officer is a full-time position for the Syracuse Regional Airport Authority which is responsible for planning, coordinating, and inspecting construction projects at Syracuse Hancock International Airport. Reporting to the Director of Planning and Development, an employee in this class is responsible for inspecting and coordinating a variety of design and construction projects in order to maintain or improve the Authority’s facilities and structures.
Typical Work Activities
- Works with the Directors of Airfield Maintenance and Terminal and Landside Operations, the Airport Operations Officer, and other senior staff members to identify and develop project goals and objectives.
- Plans construction and renovation projects, makes schedules, prepares preliminary cost estimates and detailed project budgets.
- Represents the Authority at all construction meetings throughout the design, bidding and construction phases of all projects.
- Reviews all phases of construction work and monitors projects ensuring progress according to specifications.
- Reports project progress as well as potential issues or delays to the Director of Planning and Development and other senior level staff.
- Processes change order documentation.
- May review expense documents to ensure that goods and services have been received in preparation for payment.
- Reviews and approves payment applications for projects.
- Utilizes personal computers in order to develop and track work orders as well as other work related activities.
- Identifies and reports the physical plant needs of the Authority in order to develop an ongoing capital repair/replacement program.
- Coordinates the permitting process for tenant improvements to airport buildings.
- Prepares exhibits and visual conceptual documents utilizing GIS and Auto CADD.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of planning, design and construction including cost estimating, construction codes, site work construction and inspection.
- Good knowledge of the principles, methods and equipment common to construction projects.
- Good knowledge of computer applications within the field of facilities engineering as related to computer drawing and records maintenance, including GIS and CAD.
- Ability to work effectively, professionally, and respectfully with a diverse staff, vendors, contractors, engineers, and government officials.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to read and interpret a variety of blueprints, plans, and specifications applicable to construction work.
- Ability to make detailed technical inspections and to enforce regulations firmly, tactfully, and impartially.
- Ability to prepare detailed project budgets and estimations.
- Proficient in use of a personal computer, and Microsoft Office Suite products, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Ability to stand, walk, and sit for long periods of time.
- Ability to perform work in all weather conditions.
Graduation from a regionally accredited college or university or one accredited by the New York State Board of Regents to grant degrees with a baccalaureate degree in engineering science, engineering technology, Aviation Planning construction technology, architecture or a closely related field and two (2) years of work experience, or its part time equivalent, in construction management or closely related field, which must have included the review of contracts and specifications preferably on FAA AIP Granted Projects and or in the aviation industry.
1. Must obtain and maintain security clearance as required by role and TSA regulations
2. Possession of valid New York State driver’s license.
* Any offer of employment would be contingent on passing a security clearance background check and pre-employment drug test.
**This is a Civil Service provisional position. The incumbent will be required to take an open/competitive exam given by Onondaga County Civil Service and be reachable on the certified list to be eligible to obtain permanent civil service status and retain the position.
Salary and Benefits
Salary range from $65k-$85k depending on experience. The Authority offers a comprehensive salary and benefits package, including medical/dental/vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, generous paid time off, flexible work schedule, 457(b), Employee Assistance Program, and membership in the New York State Local and Employee Retirement System.
Apply online and include resume and cover letter.
*The Syracuse Regional Airport Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer*