Duarte is a communication agency and training company – we help people influence their audiences to believe and act on ideas. We are experts in using speeches, visual stories, presentations, and the spoken word to move people in moments that matter, from the epic to the everyday.
For over 30 years, we have transformed communication for the world's most successful brands, especially in the technology sector. Our Agency provides creative services for select clients using the Duarte Method™, while our Academy teaches teams and individuals how to use that method in their daily life and work. Through her series of best-selling books, our co-founder and President, Nancy Duarte, has extended the Duarte Method’s reach to millions around the world.
At Duarte, we value belonging, leading, innovating, and serving others. We take care of each other and our clients, prioritizing our own health and wellness as highly as we prioritize profit and client delight. Duartians tell us they find more here than a job. They find a home, a career, a calling. We’re united by our love of story and our mission to transform the way millions of people communicate their ideas.
We are seeking a full-time Senior Account Manager to join our Agency Client Services team. Location in the Pacific U.S. time zone is preferred.
Our Client Services team is accountable for the quality, breadth, and depth of our long-lasting client relationships. For each client we serve, our team has two disciplines:
- Account management, which sets the strategy for our partnership with the client, helps the client understand our value and abilities, identifies client needs, matches those needs with solutions from across our company, and sells those solutions in.
- Project management, which manages the successful execution of our client projects, with “success” defined in terms the client’s delight, the Duarte team’s experience, and business/financial metrics. They run projects from beginning to end, ensure all stakeholders are set up to succeed, and identify and escalate challenges as they arise.
As a Senior Account Manager, you will own the account management function above for one of our key, anchor accounts. You will report to our SVP of Client Services and Strategy. You’ll become well-versed in the Duarte Method™ and our processes, so you can effectively counsel your clients on how our partnership can transform their communication and solve their needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Strategy, Planning, and Forecasting
- Determine Duarte’s strategy for maintaining transformational relationships with your client, with engagements that are ideal for our clients, our people, and our business.
- Understand and be able to articulate Duarte’s business strategy, so you can ladder your strategy up to it.
- Research, understand, and document your client’s own business strategy and relevant communication needs, to inform your client strategy.
- Document your client strategy and communicate it clearly to align and motivate your team and leadership. Lead internal quarterly business reviews (QBRs).
- Map our relationships within each client; know who we know and who we should know – then ensure your client strategy includes concrete actions to nurture those relationships.
- Maintain a twice-yearly 12-month forecast of your team’s revenue and the mix of project types/creative needs.
Advising, designing solutions, and selling
- Actively listen to the clients buyers Predict and tease out relevant needs. Execute proactive sales plays/account-based-marketing (ABM) campaigns, architect ideal solutions, and persuade clients to engage us as transformational partners.
- Effectively match needs with appropriate Duarte value propositions and solutions, based on your deep knowledge of the Duarte Method and our team’s capabilities, as well as surrounding context. Be an advisor and partner as you pitch and sell. Meet your forecasted revenue target.
- Estimate projects accurately. Write compelling, clear, and factually correct proposals and statements of work (SOWs). Collaborate with your team’s Project Management personnel to ensure SOWs have feasible timing, resourcing requirements, and deliverables.
- Manage contracts and negotiations, working with legal and VP of Operations to ensure we mitigate our risk and protect our business. Understand your client(s)’ MSA and the implications of its terms.
- Maintain accurate and timely data about client relationships in Salesforce; use resulting insights to fuel strategic planning.
Stewardship of business and people
- Serve as the leader of your account’s dedicated team. Directly supervise one project manager, and indirectly mentor and champion your team’s creative staff. Use radical candor and active listening to encourage their well-being and professional development.
- Understand and monitor your team’s monthly P&L for performance to revenue and profitability targets. Understand what factors you can and can’t control, and make daily decisions that lead to target P&L performance.
- Live Duarte’s values (belong, lead, innovate, serve) in daily decisions. Balance team well-being, client delight, and financial objectives. Monitor your team’s workload and billability.
- See patterns and connect dots; identify IP opportunities that Duarte can use to solve customer needs across all our services and products.
- Lead and contribute to internal task forces that advance our business, team health, and operations efficiency.
- Contribute your energy and strengths to functional team meetings and trainings, as well as to Duarte’s internal culture-building events.
Project sponsorship and management
- Transfer project knowledge effectively to your team’s project management personnel. Ensure everyone on all sides begins each project aligned on deliverables, budget, timeline, and client objectives/expectations.
- Be knowledgeable about projects in flight, and ready to help solve problems, escalate issues, wrangle clients, and re-scope projects as needed – prioritizing demands and operating with coolness under pressure. Engage in projects at key milestones and moments, to promote the deep, transformational relationships your strategy requires.
- In our organization structure, our SAMs serve as project managers for roughly 15% to 20% of their time. (They do this, for example, when there are more concurrent client projects running at a time than the team’s PM can manage alone; when the team is down a PM due to attrition or onboarding or being on loan to another team, and so on.) Therefore, it’s important our SAMs can reliably complete the detail-oriented, thorough work of a project manager. This will include tasks such as:
- Scheduling and facilitating client meetings
- Documenting and communicating clear next steps, actions, tasks
- Monitoring project progress to timeline and budget, managing shifts as they occur, and ensuring all team members are aligned on expectations, risks, etc.
- More detailed PM duties will be shared in the interview process.
Education and Experience
- 3+ years’ experience in managing client relationships and client success, and in selling services to meet forecasted targets of $1M+ annually. Experience doing this within a creative agency setting (such as brand, communications, design, or marketing services) is preferred but not required.
- Track record of nurturing long-term client or stakeholder relationships.
- P&L management experience is ideal but not required.
- Experience with matching customer needs to appropriate solutions and value propositions, architecting solutions, and writing compelling pitches and proposals.
- Experience with aligning and inspiring project team members on both the agency and client (or team and internal customer) sides.
- Experience managing at least one direct report is preferred.
- Project management certification is welcomed but not required.
- Experience and comfort with customer relationship management software such as Salesforce for data capture, planning, analysis, and reporting.
- Experience and comfort using the Microsoft Office suite of software and collaboration tools such as Mavenlink, Microsoft Planner, Microsoft Teams, Zoom, and Google Workplace.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills, with the ability to adapt communication style well for different audiences and contexts.
- Executive presence, ability to represent our work, team, and value with confidence and composure in front of powerful people and when under pressure.
- Ability to align and inspire team members to execute a strategy.
- Ability to coach and mentor employees to high performance, expose them to opportunities, and support their professional development
- Time management: Our work takes place in a deadline-driven environment and involves periods of peak demands and pressure. While typical work weeks are 40 hours, occasional travel and night or weekend work may be required.
- Critical thinking
- Active listening
- Business acumen, ownership/entrepreneurial mindset
- Balancing competing priorities
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to use psychographic tools Duarte provides, such as DISC, SDI, and Enneagram, to help inform your approach to relationships with both clients and team members.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.