Reports To: Sergeant
Salary range: $22.76 - $27.88
FLSA Status: Non -Exempt hourly
Closing Date: Evergreen position
Position Summary: Under general supervision, performs a variety of duties for the Cañon City Police Department, to maintain public order, and to assist and protect the lives and property of Canon City residents, business owners, and visitors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: The essential duties and responsibilities listed below are central to the job or are the reason the position exists, and the employee must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. This list is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities. Duties and responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Performs law enforcement duties on an assigned shift.
- Upholds and enforces federal, state, and municipal criminal and traffic laws and ordinances. Prevents criminal episodes and suppresses civil disturbances.
- Patrols City in marked or unmarked police cars, responds to calls for assistance and traffic accidents, determines appropriate actions to maintain or re-establish law and order, investigates incidents, intervenes in disputes, writes reports, controls traffic, issues citations, apprehends criminal suspects, makes arrests, and transports suspects to jail.
- Assists the public with general information and safety advice. Provides first aid when needed.
- Prepares legal paperwork such as arrest warrants, summons, probable cause affidavits, custody forms, penalty assessments, and revocation forms. Consults with prosecutors and testifies in court.
- Investigates crimes. Collects and preserves evidence. Photographs and videotapes crime scenes and accident scenes. executes search warrants and conducts searches as authorized of buildings, vehicles, documents, and computers following established procedures.
- Consults with prosecutors, testifies in court.
- Some positions may serve as K-9 officer or School Resource Officer.
- Provides excellent customer service to external and internal customers including but not limited to effectively listening and communicating, providing accurate information, offering solutions, assisting in resolution, and ensuring timely follow up as needed.
- Attends or completes trainings, seminars, and meetings as required.
- Performs related duties as established by law or ordinance or as reasonably directed by the City.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: The essential duties listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. The below list is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of all knowledge, skills and abilities that are required.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, statutes, ordinances, rules, and regulations pertaining to law enforcement issues in Cañon City.
- Knowledge of the theory, principles, practices, and methods of criminal justice.
- Knowledge of the theory, principles, practices, and methods of performing police patrol or investigative duties of an assigned shift or unit within a municipal police department.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing excellent customer service. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Skilled in the safe use of equipment used by police officers in the performance of their duties including, but not limited to, handgun, shotgun, assault rifle, taser, pepper ball gun, pepper spray, voice recorder, flashlight, handcuffs, baton, measuring wheel, and two-way radios.
- Skilled in protecting and preserving crime scenes and gathering evidence.
- Ability to patrol streets and public places in a marked or unmarked police vehicle, discovering and preventing the commission of crimes, and enforcing state, local, and municipal laws.
- Ability to respond to calls for service, accident scenes, acts of terror, natural disaster, and preplanned events that require a police presence.
- Ability to intervene in disputes, apprehend suspects, issue citations, identify witnesses, conduct investigations, interview victims, suspects, and witnesses, and maintain or re-establish law and order.
- Ability to speak effectively including testifying in court, visiting schools or community events and organizations.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing including the preparation of reports and legal paperwork.
- Familiar with basic computer functionality. Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or related software. Knowledge of basic office equipment including but not limited to copiers, fax machines, multi-line phone systems, and calculators.
- Ability to build effective relationships as needed with employees, government officials, and the public.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent and completion of Field Training.
- Any acceptable combination of education, training and experience that provides the listed knowledge, abilities and skills may be substituted.
- Certified Colorado Police Officer
- Valid Driver’s License and satisfactory driving record required
Physical Activities: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position works in an indoor and outdoor environment and requires the ability to perform physically demanding activities in a variety of settings. The employee is sometimes required to drive, including marked and unmarked police vehicles. May be required to sit or stand for extended periods of time. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 175 pounds. The employee is occasionally required to apprehend and subdue persons resisting arrest. The employee is occasionally exposed to hazardous and potentially lethal situations and individuals, including exposure to firearms, other weapons, explosives, toxins, traffic, and natural disasters.