The Society of St. Vincent de Paul, Archdiocese of St. Louis (SVDP), is a grassroots, volunteer-based, direct-aid organization that brings together men and women to grow in their spirituality through service for others. We have been serving the Greater St. Louis area since 1845. We are part of a national organization and linked by the common mission of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul.
The Archdiocesan Council is composed of 140+ parish-based volunteer groups called Conferences. The Main Council operation serves as a resource and support system for these Conferences.
The Driver position facilitates the efficient movement of cargo from donor locations to facilities, from stores to customer’s homes and recycling center delivery. Drivers are seen as the “Face of St. Vincent de Paul” and must be polite and professional by acknowledging the donors and partners with a warm greeting and thanking them.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Drives a truck with a capacity of 2 tons to transport and deliver cargo and materials
- Follows the direction of management and supervisory personnel as instructed and works independently without direct supervision when on the road.
- Maintains radio/telephone contact with Manager to receive instructions, report a donation non-pickup or receive new pickup requests. Use of company cell phones only when stopped. No Texting.
- Contacts donor on day of pickup and confirms pickup time and notes call on the route sheet.
- Assists loading and unloading truck manually in a safe manner, lifting up to 100 lbs.+, using proper lifting techniques and company approved tools, for times such as appliances, furniture, household items and clothing.
- Properly secures donated cargo as required. All property picked up is the property of St. Vincent de Paul, following the “What We Take and What We Don’t Take” list.
- Immediately reports all accidents or incidents involving company equipment, including all moving violations received in a company vehicle and personal vehicle to the manager. Failure to report accidents and incidents will result in discipline, up to and including termination.
- Complies with required emergency responses to hazardous material spills or incidents as required by the situation.
- Performs work required in a timely manner to meet assigned schedule. Will be monitored by Agilis Truck Tracker system for speed, location and idol time.
- Presents a professional image to donors and staff by wearing a clean uniform, in performance and communication.
- Communicates to Manager any concerns regarding the Driver Helper not performing their Essential Job Functions.
- Other duties as assigned.
Reports and Equipment Responsibilities:
- Cleans cab and sweeps out trailers. Inspects truck and reports needed repairs
- Checks fluids and fuels as needed
- Returns SVDP tools (dollies, ladders etc.) to proper storage and reports to manager items needed for repair or missing.
- Keeps accurate records of stops and delays, including a daily Truck Fleet Report, or any other records required by law.
Organization Mission and Policies:
- Supports and demonstrates excellent customer assistance by following the SVDP’s Customer Service Motto to “Serve our Valuable Customers with Distinction and Purpose” which defines “our valuable customers” as both internal and external; i.e. co-workers, donators, vendors, organizational contacts and thrift store consumers.